New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have Win 7 professional on a 2 TB PC running Windows Media Center. I record TV shows to the hard drive and want to burn them to DVD. When I try to burn a DVD, it takes hours to burn a 60 minute TV show. Any help resolving this issue would be appreciated.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What software do you use for recording and burning?

I have an Hauppauge HVR-1600 card, and use WinTV to record the movie. I then use Pinnacle Studio to edit the movie (remove leading and trailing non-movie-related video, and add menus). I takes Studio about 20 minutes (for a 100-120 minute movie) to convert the recorded MPG file into a DVD image on disk (if I do not re-render the video). Then I use Nero to burn the DVD - I have an older, slower DVD burner so this usually takes about 12-15 minutes.

My system is a quad-core, 2.4Ghz with 8GB RAM running 64-bit Windows 7 Professional.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Does the hours to burn include rendering/converting or is this just a straight copy burn to DVD? If its the former and you are authoring a DVD for DVD playback you can try altering the recording format to NTSC (or PAL) MPEG-2 to hopefully speed up the process. If its just old dog slow without any rendering check the controller for that drive in Device Manager and see if it has gone to PIO mode and enable DMA has been unchecked. IF it has you want to try and get it back into DMA mode or burning speed will be really slow.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Johnson2191 View Post

I have an Hauppauge HVR-1600 card, and use WinTV to record the movie. I then use Pinnacle Studio to edit the movie (remove leading and trailing non-movie-related video, and add menus). I takes Studio about 20 minutes (for a 100-120 minute movie) to convert the recorded MPG file into a DVD image on disk (if I do not re-render the video). Then I use Nero to burn the DVD - I have an older, slower DVD burner so this usually takes about 12-15 minutes.

My system is a quad-core, 2.4Ghz with 8GB RAM running 64-bit Windows 7 Professional.
    My system is very similar to your own and I also have the same problem as the OP. I usually do not use WinTV to record the TV shows because I like the facilities of Windows Media Center. WMC records TV shows in .wtv format, whatever that is ??? I have tried a couple times creating a DVD but the time required without any editing etc. is just too excessive. I have attempted a burn with both WMC and the commercial package I have by Roxio called Creator 2010 Pro. That is actually a suite of programs that includes composing and burn utilities. The output from it is whatever standard DVD format is. Almost all of the time is spent on conversion. The burn is relatively fast.

So, I also am interested in any solution that will result in a standard DVD output.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Johnson2191 View Post

I am trying to burn the TV file from within Windows Media Center. Is there a way to convert the .wtv file to a DVD image on disk and burn to a DVD outside of WMC?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am trying to burn the TV file from within Windows Media Center. Is there a way to convert the .wtv file to a DVD image on disk and burn to a DVD outside of WMC?