New Lounger
    Thanks
    I would like to re-install Windows XP on my Dell Dimension. I will be starting out on a new hard drive.I have five cd's,that came with the computer. The first one is the operating system reinstallation cd, which has the operating system on it.The remaining cd's are software reinstallation cd's. I have downloaded the Automated System Recovery backup program, that Woody described in his book.I used the second option which states: Everyones documents and settings.The file is holding 14GB of backup files, that I transferred to my external hard drive.I have never done a re-installation before.Would I need to re-install all five cd's before restoring from the ASR backup program, or will the ASR program install some of the programs and maybe I will not need to use all 5 CD's?Has anyone ever done this procedure before? Does anyone have a better idea? I will be looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks a bunch! Tony C

Thanks
    Hi Rusty, and welcome to the Lounge!
    I have never used the ASR backup or restore, but I would definitely restore the backup to your new hard drive first, then take inventory on everything you recovered, and copy back or install anything you need that did not originally get backed up with ASR.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    What is your reason for wanting to reintall? You can use drive imaging software to migrate to the new hard drive.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Gerald and bbearan,thanks for the replies. The main reason for the reinstall option is because I tried to install a dvd drive on my computer. I have tried internal and external. They both had a Nero software to operate the dvd drives. The programs would always lock up. I asked technical support,at the computer center, and he told me there is nothing wrong with the software. He said the operating system may need to be reinstalled.I dont know for sure, but it may be worth a try. Gerald, How much will these restore programs restore? Will they restore programs?

Thanks
    I would try a repair/reinstall, which won't affect your existing programs and apps, but will restore any mangling of your XP installation.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    He said the operating system may need to be reinstalled
    This is the standard "I don't know and don't have time to find out" reply. It often fixes the problem because you end up re-installing everything, but it's not much fun.

Before you re-install you need to make sure your backups are OK and you have the settings for all of the things you didn't manage to backup - login names and passwords for mail etc, wallpaper, program settings, the list goes on. Alternatively make sure the old hard disk is stored safely and you can copy everything off that after the new installation - assuming you can connect it as a second hard disk. Note: this second method doesn't give easy access to the user/pass, settings etc, but it does keep them intact on the old disk should you need to go back to find them.

1. Write down all the programs you use that have some sort of user/pass requirement.
    2. Ditto for things for which you have specific settings.
    3. Remove the old hard disk and put it in the cupboard.
    4. Install the new hard disk.
    5. Install Windows from the recovery CD.
    6. Install all of the programs.
    7. Restore the ASR data.
    8. Hold your breath and test!

If you missed some settings or data, it is easy to take out the new disk, put the old one in and then collect the bits you missed.

p.s. Try CDBurnerXP instead or Nero, it's free and good.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Rusty, if Dell provided you with an OEM XP installation CD then I would take bbearren's suggestion to do a repair/reinstall to correct the problems in your XP partition without destroying your programs or data. If Dell only provided you with an XP installation recovery CD then you will not be able to do that; you would only be able to restore your hard drive to it's original factory state, which is a last resort thing to do.
    If a recovery CD is all you have, you can open a command screen by clicking Start >Run> type in cmd and type in 'sfc /scannow' without the quote marks, and assuming there is a recovery partition on your hard drive, this command will check your critical system files for integrity and replace them with fresh ones as necessary. If there are any corrupt system files this should fix them.

If you can do a repair/reinstall and that fixes your XP installation, then would you need to install a new hard drive unless your current one is physically dying? You can use imaging software to backup your entire installation so when you encounter a situation requiring full restoration, the image backup will restore XP as well as your settings, registry, software programs, and user data. Acronis True Image is one such program you can purchase. There are also others and there are some free ones available, such as Macrium Reflect . I have used Acronis True Image Home 10 (an earlier version) and it restored my entire XP installation including programs, settings, registry and my user files.

Hope this helps.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    bbearran,PT, andGerald, you have collectively given me great support. bbearren,that was great advice that you have given me.Repairing, rather than reinstalling,may be a more likely option. I am going to read and reread that article. I am not very computer literate,so it will take a short period to get oriented.PT, thanks for outlining the reinstallation procedure. If that is ever an option for me,I will know exactly,what to do.I am going to look in to that XPCD burner program, that you have suggested.Gerald, I did try the sfc /scannow option. I have noticed, my computer runs much smoother and much faster than it did before I ran that command. I have a Seagate external hard drive. It is supposed to have a mirror image copy program for it. I will check in to it. I will most likely return the new hard drive, and try to install another external dvd drive.I will try the program that PT suggested. Maybe the nero program does not work for my computer. I will post the results. Thanks for all of your help!

Lounger
    Thanks
    Whenever I see nero problems, I immediately think of the issue I had with INCD a Nero program that installs and wrecks havock. Do you have INCD installed? If you do, go to the Nero site for a fix.

Thanks
    You could try to clone the drive and then do one of Fred Langa's repair-reinstalls??
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.