Lounger
    Thanks
    I apologize for being ignorant regarding External Hard Drives, but hope you bear with me. I'm leaning toward purchasing the Western Digital Elements 500GB USB 2.0 portable external hard drive (I know it's just a bare bones drive, but that is what I want) I am not planning to do daily or weekly backups, but most likely monthly. My question is: should this drive always be plugged into my PC USB port at all times? What I would like to do is - plug it in when I'm ready to back up, then merely unplug it. Does anyone know if this particular drive has an on/off switch? The manufacturer's site does not address these issues. Thank you for any info.

Thanks
    You do not need to keep it plugged in. Just plug it in when using it. Most do not have on/off switches. Just plug them in to turn them on.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Betty,

In addition to Ted's suggestion, a caution:

When you want to remove the hard drive (or ANY USB Device), There is an icon in system tray with a Green arrow (Usually located lower right corner of screen (see attached file). Do this when you want to unplug the USB device WHILE the computer is on.

Otherwise, unplug the USB device AFTER the computer is off or turn off the USB device BEFORE unplugging it from the machine.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Scott

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, both.