New Lounger
    Thanks

Distributing Global Template (97)

I have been working on a global template that needs to be utilized much like the normal.dot. This template will be distributed to everyone in my company and needs to be available at all times. The template has AutoText entries and three different sets of styles for reports (a set of bullets, outline styles, and Heading styles. I have created a toolbar that has dropdown menus for the styles. My problem is that I need this available without having people need to attach it to use it (the average user won't do it, they will just try to recreate the look). Previously they had modified the normal.dot to hold this information. We have told them that this is NOT the way to do it. The ideal thing would be able to load it in start up, but I know that styles are not available that way. I thought of adding a AutoExec macro to change the default template, but that only works when they open Word, that won't make the template available at all times. Any ideas on how I can accomplish this task that I have been given? Any help is greatly appreciated.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Distributing Global Template (97)

Of course, they can change this setting, but:

Change the location of User templates to a network location and store the templates there.

Thanks

This is the purpose of the workgroup templates folder. If you change your user templates folder to a shared network folder, you'll end up trying to share normal.dot, which is not a good idea. See <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm> Template Basics</A> (addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm) for more on templates (user and workgroup), document templates, global templates and Normal.dot. This also includes how the files are organized under File New and the location of template folders which varies not only by version of Word but also by operating system.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks

Put some macros that utilize the Organizer to pull your styles either from this global or from a series of style sheet templates. Put the macros on a custom toolbar in your global.

When you code the macros to copy the styles, be sure to copy all the styles you need once, then copy them all again (overwriting the existing ones), and then yet a third time.

I will write more later. You may want to review <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.addbalance.com/word/movetotemplate.htm> Copying / Moving /Sharing Customizations</A>.

With the styles, generally you will want to use the same names for different styles that have the same function in different types of documents. This is true whether you use the names built into Word or have your own. If a style is only for a particular kind of document of if you might be copying things in that style to other documents and want the formatting to be kept as is rather than conformed to the receiving document, you would want a style with a name that isn't used for anything else.

Given this, you would want to have some style sheets which can be used as the source files for your macros. These need not be stored in the workgroup templates folder but would need to be on a network folder to which all users have at least read access. The users would never need to see these templates (they could be documents) or be aware of them. What they would see would be buttons on a custom toolbar or custom menu.

You may want to take a look at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.addbalance.com/word/templatesmenu.htm> A menu of favorite templates in Word</A> (addbalance.com/word/templatesmenu.htm) for tips on how to construct such a toolbar for your custom macros. Remember that your macros and your toolbar should all be kept in your global template.

Some additional references that may be of help to you are <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm> Template Basics</A> (addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm) for more on templates (user and workgroup), document templates, global templates and Normal.dot.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Customization/WhatTemplatesStore.htm> What do templates and add-ins store?</A>, and
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MacrosVBA/DistributeMacros.htm>Distributing macros to other users</A> (mvps.org/word)

Hope this helps,
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Saying much the same as what Charles is saying, what you're describing works better as an "attached" template rather than a global one - that is, a template which documents are based on. Documents that are based on the template will be able to access the styles, autotexts etc. The users' workgroup templates directory location needs to be pointed to the network directory where you deploy the template (the template should be read-only of course).

Then your challenge is training users to use this template rather than Normal.dot for creating new documents. You can call this template "CompanyNameBlank" and instruct everyone that this must be used in order to produce documents that are properly in the company style.

Gary

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you so much for your help. What I have done at this point after reading your answer is to create a AutoExec macro that looks to the Style Gallery, selecting my template in there. I then placed a copy of the template in my Office Start menu, leaving a copy in the templates directory. When I open word, then my template is loaded as a global template, my macro executes and loads my styles. Everything seems to be working beautifully (I still need to test it further), my only problem now seems to be in my Outline styles. They appear indented like they should be, but after Heading 1 the numbering is gone. My other styles work great. I rechecked in my template to be sure that the outline numbering is correct under Format Bullets and Numbering and it is still set up correctly. Any clues? Thanks again.