New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have found the answer to fixing the black bars that appear in the tool bar area of IE8.

It seems to be caused by the default desktop setting theme not being XP.

If I reset it to XP and then back to "My Favorite Theme", IE opens fine.

If I don't so this, it has the black bars I mentioned.

I am running XP with all the latest updates

Is there a way anyone knows about so I don't have to do this after each reboot ??

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    If this is a recent occurrence, have you tried a system restore to a time before it was happening?

Is this a custom theme?

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have found one way of getting rid of the black for a longer period of time, but it still comes back.

On my wife's Acer laptop the menus on Internet Explorer keep being blacked out.

I go right click on the desktop and Properties / Themes / and it is on Windows Classic Modified, that is when the menus and blacked out. I have tried to delete it but the delete is greyed out.

I change it to Windows Classic and the blacked out menus are gone, I then add the desktop Autumn and then save as Jeans set up, this is saved by default in My Documents.

.I have done a search to find Windows Classic Modified but it found nothing.

But it seems to change it self, at no set period of time.

I have scanned with AVG, also Malwarebytes Anti Malware and found nothing

Can anyone tell me where I can find Windows Classic Modified so I can delete it or how I can remove it, with a bit of luck that should but an end to it. Themes are generally stored at C:\Windows\Resources\Themes but not Windows Classic Modified.

I run windows XP SP3 fully up to date with IE8