4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi all,

I have bought a new laptop it came with pre-installed windows 7, there was another partition and I installed Windows XP that came with it, I wanted to create a dual boot. When I restart my PC it automatically starts on XP and it does not give me an option to choose between operating systems.

Does someone knwo how to do it?

Many thanks,

Thanks
    Hi Skender,

I have gone the dual boot route, but by installing Win7 on an XP machine, and that went pretty smooth. I have not seen anything encouraging about successfully dual booting Win7 and XP by adding the older OS after the new one. It is always best to install the newer OS after the older one.

Since you have already installed XP, you might try downloading EasyBCD here . This is the XP version of the software. If Easy can see your Win7 partition, you could attempt to write a new MBR for Win7. If I understand things correctly, when XP was installed it overwrote the files necessary for booting Win7. Please be aware that this procedure may not help at all, and may cause additional difficulties. But since hopefully your laptop came with a recovery DVD or you made one when you brought your new machine home, you should be able to reset your system to its original factory configuration without much difficulty.

If you do not have a recovery DVD for your laptop, contact the manufacturer to have them send you one.

Perhaps another Lounger has had the same experience and knows an effective work around so you can complete your dual boot setup.
    Best wishes.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by skender View Post
    there was another partition and I installed Windows XP that came with it, I wanted to create a dual boot.
    Was the other partition empty before you installed XP there?

Is the XP partition before or after the Windows 7 partition?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If I'm understanding you correctly then you have successfully installed both Windows 7 and Windows XP on a single machine. In this case there's an option in both XP and 7 for showing your operating systems (it ask how much time to show them for). In Windows 7 you can access this by going to computer properties, clicking advanced settings, click the advanced tab, click Startup and Recovery.

If that doesn't work then you could download FreeDOS and go like you're going to install it. At the beginning of the installation process there's a way to partition and format drives, within this system is the ability to install a boot manager. Unfortunately the don't remember many of the specifics of installing the boot manager but, it's the best one I've found especially considering it doesn't rely on any regular folders. I'm also assuming you are pretty decent with computers and can figure things out considering you managed to install XP like that.
    Current Machine:HP Compaq 6910p with 4GB RAM, Core2Duo @ 2.20 GHz, Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family, Avast free, Malwarebyte's free, TP-Link wireless card (as the built in card has nothing but problems with empty solutions): The card identifies as "Atheros AR922X Wireless Network Adapter". [Not the best machine but it does internet, docs, and vids, and some games (PvZ, Spore)]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    Hi Skender,

I have gone the dual boot route, but by installing Win7 on an XP machine, and that went pretty smooth. I have not seen anything encouraging about successfully dual booting Win7 and XP by adding the older OS after the new one. It is always best to install the newer OS after the older one.
    Hi to all

I also installing Win 7 on a XP machine, in a new partition, and now I'm succesfully dual booting Win7 and XP. But there are several issues. First, you lost your Points Of Restore in System Restore of Win7.
    I don't know why... And second, the order of yours partitions changes when you swicht from XP to Win7. XP jump from C: to D: (o E:, depends of your configuration), and Win7 takes the control of C:

So... Win7 without System Restore? I don't think so... Disks and partitions that change with every boot? Complicated matter... And finally, WMP 12 comes with its own codecs. The people who make their own DVDs, should think twice. Goodbye ffdshow (and subtitles with that codecs), bye Media Player Classic, etc... By the way... In XP, Procoder 3 converts a 350 mb avi to DVD in 30 minutes. Win7 takes 1 hour and a half (in a quad core machine). Blessed new codecs.

In summary, we can install the two operating systems, but we lose more than we gain. Anyone knows some decent Boot Manager to resolve these problems? Thanks, and sorry for my bad English.

Thanks
    It really sounds as though, because Win 7 was the first OS, and you installed XP on your empty 2nd partition, you boot manager was screwed up. I have used TeraByte BootIt in the past with great success. It has been a while so I do not remember the exact sequence to use, but if I remember correctly the help and manuals were reasonably good.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    When dual booting XP and 7, both OS's will write to the same System Restore files, each OS overwriting the other's restore points. I don't use System Restore (I find it very lacking in its abilities), so that isn't a problem for me. I use BootIt NG as a boot manager, and use its imaging tool to create drive images for backup. BootIt can also edit BCD stores, among several other things.

Yes, when Windows 7 is booted, it is located on drive C: and XP becomes drive D: (usually). When XP is booted, it is located on drive C: and 7 becomes drive D:. You can use Disk Management in both OS's to make sure all your other partitions retain the same drive letter regardless of which OS is running. That was my first step after installing Windows 7 for dual boot; I used Disk Management in 7 to make sure all other drive letters matched the assignments in XP before I started installing any other software (I don't install programs in the OS partition).

With my setup and operating habits, dual booting is a win/win.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    In order to dual boot in windows 7 you have to have your copy of XP (older os first) already installed.
    Only then will you be able to dual boot with windows 7 installed to a different partition or drive, without a 3rd party boot manager.

So, probably simpler to look into a 3rd party boot-manager tool, or
    format both os's, clean install XP first then clean install 7 to a different partition or separate drive.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I found this guide on the Net, hope it helps:

Insert the installation of Windows 7 (or a disk) in the player and the computer to boot from it;

Select "System Recovery" followed by "Startup Repair";

Reboot the PC and log on to Windows 7;

Install and start VistaBootPro;

Ignore the request for the creation of backup files;

Go to the menu "Diagnostics -> Run Diagnostics";

The emergence of new entries in the operating systems that will present in VistaBootPro, click the Apply updates;

Restart your PC.