New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Everyone;
    This is my first post and my problem is very strange. The machine here is homebuilt Asus A7N8E-Deluxe with 3 gig Kingston memory. The keyboard is a microsoft natural. Recently while trying to send a link to an e-mail receipent from a web page I could not type a short message. Typing worked ok but all the letters were scrambled and were garbage. This has happened at least three times before. I have Microsoft Office 2007 and am using Outlook from that package. Today I was editing a video that I previously recorded with WinTV 1600 and had a similiar problelm. After editing the video with AVS video editor and trying to "Save As" with a new name, anything I typed came out as garbage. The letters may be only 2 - 3 keys off or even completely at the opposite end of the keyboard. I'm puzzled. I unplugged keyboard and re-inserted cable , but it made no difference. I shut programs down and opened IE8 and typed a search word in google and it worked perfectly. This post is coming from keyboard and it is OK. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    RadioJoe

Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge, RadioJoe! If you happen to have another keyboard on hand or access to one, you could swap them out to see if the symptoms still present. This would reveal whether the keyboard has a fault or if it lies somewhere else within your system. If your keyboard is a USB model you might also try a different USB port as the USB receptacle may have a fault.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RadioJoe View Post
    The keyboard is a microsoft natural. Recently while trying to send a link to an e-mail receipent from a web page I could not type a short message. Typing worked ok but all the letters were scrambled and were garbage. This has happened at least three times before.
    Seems as though the driver might be bad. Do you have the most current drivers for the keyboard? You can get it from Software Download.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    MS has a specialized S/W download for it's keyboards here. I have had great success with this. If the keyboard is still screwing up, I would suspect the keyboard. You do not say how old it is, but MS has had a Natural keyboard for a long time, so it may be going bad.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all that commented. I have all the latest drivers for the keyboard from MS and it made no difference. I hot swapped keyboards and it didn't help any. Today I was forwarding a e-mail from Outlook and while appending a note it screwed up and I had no cursor. I killed internet explorer (8 updated) and the cursor returned and I was able to finish the note. However, before I finished the note I got a pop up window that said Outlook has encountered a problem - checking for a fix, etc. Outlook sent details of problem to MS and restarted back to where I was with the note. From that point on it was OK. Again, my thanks to all for helping. If and when I find out what the problem was I'll post so all may see. Tnx again Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    First I want to thank everyone for their input on my keyboard remapping problem. HOWEVER, I found the solution ( I think ). I am running ZoneAlarm Extreme Security and the problem lies with that. I had purchased a license for 3 computers and this week after installing ZAE on my daughters desktop she also started having mixed up letters when she typed. I did a search on Zone Alarm forums page and expecially the Force Field section for keyboards. The problem turns out to be related to the ZA Browser settings. By going to the browser settings - ForceField - Advanced - and uncheck the "Block programs that secretely record keystrokes" (read the tip here by Zone Alarm) and checking "Only in secure sessions, https" my problem cleared up. I have not been able to update my current version (9.1.008.000) to the version that's supposed to have fixed the issue (9.1.118.000) yet tho. I hope this may save someone else a lot of head scratching. Best Regards...Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Glad you got it resolved. Thanks for posting your solution.

Joe

Joe