Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a dual boot PC (XP Pro & Win 7 Ultimate). Both 32-bit. The operating systems are on two different disks; C & D, depending on which is active. Most everything I have (documents, wallpapers, software archives, pictures, music, etc.) is located in Windows XP - My Documents.

The Problem:
    I logged into Win 7, and wanted access to some of the documents and other files located on the D drive (Win XP). So, using explorer, I began my quest. At every turn, I was faced with an "Access Denied" message. This in itself is enough to make me want to throw Win 7 in the lake! That's exactly why I used Vista discs for coasters. My machine, I'm the only user, and I can't get to the files on the D drive...

So, keeping my cool, I begin to monkey around with the security properties of various folders on the D drive. Setting myself up as the "owner". Eventually, I was able to access some files, wallpapers, etc.

Then, when I'm done with Win 7, I log off and then onto Win XP. You see it coming, don't you??? Now, when I try to access the folders that I took ownership of in Win7, I get an "access Denied" message in XP. Ludicrous, comes to mind.

Windows XP does not seem to have similar security settings, so I can't immediately see how to re-take ownership of the folders. And this is my first order of business. I need access to everything in the My Documents folder while logged into XP. I do have access to My Documents, but it's some of the sub folders that I'm locked out of.

Then, if anyone knows how to shut off the "Access Denied" FEATURE, I'd like to know. It's the lack of accessibility, the lack of control and the difficulty in navigation that will prevent me from leaping head first into Win 7. It always seems like I'm being told I cannot do something. Like I'm using someone else's PC. Maddening! I should be able to use Windows explorer to navigate to any file, any folder, and any drive that's connected to my PC.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Update -

I've solved my first issue. I have regained access to all of my folders while using Win XP. A detailed solution for the issue can be found here (MS Article).

Still, if there's a solution for the second issue, I'm eager to learn.

I want to log into Win7, crank up Windows Explorer and navigate all around my computer, every drive, every folder, move files around, copy files, etc. Without having to fool with all of these "access denied" messages, permissions, security settings, blah, blah...

Thanks.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge!

You might try looking at moving the relevant folders somewhere other than their default locations. (RightClick on the folder, choose Location and then Browse.) Having briefly run a dual boot in Win7, I found that the folders that had been moved using this method were not subject to the same "Access Denied" messages. HTH
    Grüße

Thanks
    I had problems originally because I had not set up sharing properly on both OS. Ido not recall exactly on XP, although I believe it's similar, but on Win 7 you can set sharing properties in Control Panel, Network And Sharing, Change Advanced Sharing Settings. You may also have to open windows explorer, right click on the folders you want to share and select the appropriate share levels.

I had to do this on both OS to force them to "talk" to each other.

I hope this helps. Keep it up, you will grow to love Win 7!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As mentioned earlier, moving the location of the documents forlders to neutral territory will help deal with some of the issues involved with access to the documents on each other's partition. You may still need to set up sharing security levels to include all users of your system. Since I'm the only user on my dual boot systems and I don't have to keep anyone else out, I use simple sharing in XP to avoid all access issues there and I set the security level to full control for the user Everyone in Win 7.

Windows 7 is going to balk and stop you dead in your tracks at times because it is designed to be much more secure in its native state than XP is. XP is like hiding your money under the mattress so you can use it anytime and 7 is like having your money in a bank. The money is safer in the bank but more difficult to access any time you want. Security does not equal convenience.

Thanks
    I already had XP split apart onto different partitions (the details are on my web site) before I installed Windows 7 in dual boot. I don't have many "access denied" messages. Instead, I get "you do not yet have permission..." and "click Continue to proceed". I click continue, type in the Admin password, and it's a done deal. I still retain access through XP without issue.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Head,

This is exactly why I did not do the dual boot routine. Instead, use the virtual mode to run XP. I'm able to access all my folders in both OS's without a problem. Plus the few programs that don't run in Win 7 can be run in XP mode. As time time goes on, I'm using XP less and less and liking Win 7 more and more. I hope to eliminate the XP mode altogether in the near future as soon as I find replacements for those few programs that don't run in Win 7. I suggest you give virtual mode a try before changing anything. Then if it works out, eliminate the XP partition and you've gained lots of disc space and another drive to store whatever. As you said, you're trying hard to give Win 7 a chance. Stick it out a little longer. You'll be glad you did.

Thanks
    I still have to use XP at work, and boy do I sometimes dred it. I have converted to Win 7 at home and each day I get on I am more pleased. They are seriously talking about going Win 7 at corp. level and I can not wait. I do not use a lot of programs that do not have Win 7 compatible alternatives, so I had no reason to stay with XP. I very much like the extra security and lack of BSOD issues.

I do have to admit that I had to do a lot of tweaking to set Win 7 up the way I wanted and to speed it up, but I love it now.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    I dumped XP after a week of dual booting. I found all my, or shall I say, most of my main apps ran without issue
    in Windows 7. Windows 7 is clearly superior to anything before it.

When I was dual booting I had little issue with disk access between operating systems.
    I had XP installed originally and began dual booting by simply installing Windows 7 on the second partition of my primary drive.
    I believe Windows 7 recognized and provided the option in the custom intall mode. The only real issue I had was the
    boot option at startup remained after formatting the XP partition.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This sounds like standard NT security behavior - if you are logged into an account that does not have access to a file or folder you will get an access violation. The account you log in under XP is not the same as the account in Vista or Windows 7. In fact, if you have two XP installations (for example) that you dual boot, even those accounts will be different. This is true even if the accounts use the same name and the same password. Your real account is a uniquely assigned string, aka GUID - the user name you use to log in is just a method to access that GUID account identifier.

If you everyone to access a directory, after you grab ownership of a directory add the "everyone" account to the directory and grant it full access. Fortunately the everyone account equates to the same unique identifier no matter which one of your Windows installations you boot into.

If you just want to given your various accounts access, after grabbing ownership, add your account to the folder and grant it full access rights. Do this in each OS. By the way, as you do this you will often see for a given folder the users who have access rights - some will be name, others will be GUIDs for the accounts in the other OS instances.

All of the above is easy to do if you have Professional, Ultimate or Enterprise versions of the OS. As far as I know, Home Premium doesn't have the Security tab on the folder properties which makes things more interesting. I'm surprised that most reviewers that outline the differences in the versions don't point out this one fact; to me this is one of the key features that I need to maintain sanity.

Bryon's solution is usually the best - put everything in a different location (preferably on a different disk) and assign security appropriately. I go one step further and change the location of My Document, My Pictures, etc to refer to the new location. I do this for all OSes (even for Linux). This way, no matter which OS I boot into, I am always looking at the same documents, pictures, etc.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Johnson2191 View Post
    All of the above is easy to do if you have Professional, Ultimate or Enterprise versions of the OS. As far as I know, Home Premium doesn't have the Security tab on the folder properties which makes things more interesting. I'm surprised that most reviewers that outline the differences in the versions don't point out this one fact; to me this is one of the key features that I need to maintain sanity.

I have Ultimate, and I do not have the Security tab on folder options. I am missing something, or just dense?
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Johnson2191 View Post
    Bryon's solution is usually the best - put everything in a different location (preferably on a different disk) and assign security appropriately. I go one step further and change the location of My Document, My Pictures, etc to refer to the new location. I do this for all OSes (even for Linux). This way, no matter which OS I boot into, I am always looking at the same documents, pictures, etc.
    Thanks for all of the responses. I do like the idea of storing pictures, documents, music, etc. on a separate disk so that each operating system can access the SAME files. This makes the most sense for the way I use my PC. Being able to manipulate a file regardless of which op system I'm logged into is much better than trying to constantly sync files.

Again, thanks for all the replies and suggestions. Very helpful.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    I have Ultimate, and I do not have the Security tab on folder options. I am missing something, or just dense?
    On odler Pro & higher versions of Microsoft OSes, no security tab was a consequence of having "Simple File Sharing" invoked. Not sure what that has changed to in Win7 - Windows Explorer | Organize | Folder & Search Options | View| "Use File Sharing Wizard" maybe.

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I believe the Microsoft Migration Tool that is is included on your upgrade disks will solve all your problems provided your objective is to copy the files to Win 7.

I cannot imagine why you might want to leave anything on the XP disk exclusively unless you have some plans to continue using XP forever. I suggest you migrate everything to Win 7 since that will provide Win 7 access to everything, including any software that is XP only software (since you have Win 7 Ultimate). You might want to retain the XP disk, with its copy of all applications and files, as a safety precaution for a while but there is no reason to operate from both OSs unless you have some very rare XP application which will not operate under Win 7 even if only in compatibility mode.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I d/l'ed the free Ultimate and recently installed it on my laptop. It recognized all but the PCMCIA Card Bus Adaptec 1480. Not too bad. Ran fine, but so has my 2K and XP (have not had a BS for years on either and I run some pretty hairy stuff - both hardware and software). However, after sticking with 2K and XP for so long I find the interface extremely laborious, very often irritating, and most certainly more toaster like (simplistic yet cumbersome with so many buried links) than I can seem to appreciate. I have never subscribed to putting anything into the default subs such as documents, etc as I have well over 3 million files on the machine and M$'s hierarchy is way too simplistic without much work, never mind the huge depth of filenames, to rectify it and, fraught with gotcha's AFAIC. Also, Ultimate apparently does not back up to tape (superDLT 320 and 600) per the Help files??? Ridiculous. So far, I would rather be dead than run either Vista or 7. Very glad to be rid of it although I can not seem to blow of their bootmgr file so far, but did rid myself of their damned Win7 boot directory and get back the standard dual boot used by the ancient OS'es I seem to prefer for their direct usage of my hardware and software. I just can not understand why anyone likes what I had here on the laptop to save to my soul... unless they want nothing more than a toaster interface and have little variation in what they do. To me, it is actually worse than Vista which is pure junk. Must certainly be missing something here I guess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast