Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello all,
    In my last go-around trying to get "Ubuntu" to work and stay connected to the internet using a wireless card (Verizon) i gave up in frustration. In my last post (Ubuntu lessons learned) i was recommended to try "Mint" for some reason i decided (after a 6 month calm down period) to give it one more try (Linux) After down loading the the program Mint v-8 and installing on my "experimental" hard drive "Behold" JOY!
    For some unexplained reason the program found my "air card" (Verizon MC 760) and connected itself to the internet. Sadly this only lasted for one session. After one re-boot my connection was gone never to return? Here is my question .... Has any one ever been successful using "Verizon air cards" Looking through the "mint" forums this does not seem possible. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You may want to try the Verizon site for instructions on Linux for the Air Card. Sprint for example, posted a simple, basic step by step for Linux, but the example was Ubuntu KDE interface. The concepts are the same for the other GUI but functions may be in different places.

As for Mint, it is just a tweaked version of Ubuntu. They take it, add most codexcs and other software that Ubuntu does not. Ubuntu only comes with non-proprietary software. "Protected" drives and such are not normally included. So Mint may have included the driver for the Air Card. However, an air card usually requires an interface into the OS to "dial" the internet. That is the key you may be missing.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumble Weed View Post
    You may want to try the Verizon site for instructions on Linux for the Air Card. Sprint for example, posted a simple, basic step by step for Linux, but the example was Ubuntu KDE interface. The concepts are the same for the other GUI but functions may be in different places.

As for Mint, it is just a tweaked version of Ubuntu. They take it, add most codexcs and other software that Ubuntu does not. Ubuntu only comes with non-proprietary software. "Protected" drives and such are not normally included. So Mint may have included the driver for the Air Card. However, an air card usually requires an interface into the OS to "dial" the internet. That is the key you may be missing.
    Tumble Weed,
    Hello, and thank you, i never thought to check out "Verizon" i will and post back when i have more information . Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    Tumble Weed,
    Hello, and thank you, i never thought to check out "Verizon" i will and post back when i have more information . Regards Fred
    Hello All and potential "Linuxers"
    Just wanted to update this thread ... since the last Ubuntu / Mint/ fiascoes i have had some success (JOY) I am now "quad booting " (4 hard drives) three iterations of Vista Home Premium, and Linux Mint Helena 8. i am using EastBCD v2.0 Beta to do the "Quad" thing it has "grub2" option. now the only thing (humor) i have to learn is the terminal, linux version of the "command prompt" The MC760 verizon air card is for some reason is now working (never did find out why it didn't) maybe the third time IS THE CHARM ! Don't know if i like Linux at this point or not .... but it has the "new OS smell" my new advice to my fellow "noob's" ...... Keep at it Regards Fred
    PlainFred