Thread: Network Card

Thanks
    On getting my first Laptop 10 days go, I have been experimenting with different encryption.
    I have used WEP 28bit, WEP 128bit, WPA SPK and 'access control' only with encryption disabled. I have also used different SSID's and Public and Private. Now when my LT is started it shows as 'Identifying'. How do I clear all data I inputted and get it back to a point I can hopefully get it right this time.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You need to remove all connection settings from the wireless set up. The last time I did that it was just a case of selecting the profiles and deleting them.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    How do I do that????

Thanks
    Hi Roderunner,

I am assuming you have Windows 7 on your new laptop. Go to Control Panel>select view by large or small icons>Network and Sharing Center and click on 'Manage Wireless Networks' on the left side of your screen. This screen shows you your wireless network profile(s). Remove your profile or profiles by right clicking each and selecting 'remove'. Once you have removed your profiles, you can go to your router and create a new SSID and choose the encryption protocol you want to use (I would choose WPA or better yet WPA2) and enter the passphrase or key. Once you complete the router settings, your laptop will pick up the new SSID and prompt you for the passphrase or key you assigned. Be sure to set up as a 'Home' (private) network rather than Public, in case you have or will have another PC on your network.

Or, after making the changes in your router's wireless settings you can just edit one of the profiles you have been testing by right clicking on it in Manage Wireless Networks, choose 'Properties' and click on the 'Security' tab and edit your profile to reflect those changes in your router setup. Then delete or remove the other profiles.
    Hope this helps.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Thanks Gerald, I have Vista Home Premium, as all my 'toys' are not W7 compatible. I did as you said and now it works as it should.