New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Everyone,

I have an HP dv9420us Vista Home Premium computer. Hp informs on their website that they are not upgrading/writing any new drivers for this computer and does not recommend upgrading to Windows 7.
    I am trying to avoid a Custom install and would prefer to upgrade to Windows 7. Has anyone had any experience with this situation i.e. upgraded to Win7 on an HP under these circumstances and if so what problems did they have? Or is not worth it and one is better off doing a clean install? Would appreciate any information re this.

Thank You

Jamboe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Use the Windows upgrade adviser and determine to what degree your hardware is compatible with Win 7. A clean install is always preferred.

Go to
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I upgraded my HP m9517c when Windows 7 came out. HP offered new drivers for this machine. I would be concerned about not having Windows 7 compliant motherboard drivers - ethernet, sound, video, etc. if these are a part of your motherboard. Nvidia supplied the video and chipset and I've since updated the initial Windows 7 HP driver offering from Nvidia's website. Which might not be your case, depending on the OEM chipset.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The Microsoft Upgrade Adviser does a good job of identifying any problems. There is a good chance that there won't be any problems since you are coming from Vista. A clean install is NOT always the best approach and any driver problem will exist just as significantly in a clean install upgrade as it will in an upgrade in place.

Many of the drivers for your attached hardware can be obtained directly from the peripheral manufacturer unless HP has had a special version made for HP. In that case, you might eventually be faced with having to replace the device in order to keep the system viable. That's one of the downsides of brand name systems.

If you plan to upgrade to a new or different system within a couple of years, I would seriously consider staying with Vista. Win 7 does not offer all that much over Win 7 and despite what the uninformed pundits say, Vista was/is a very good OS. You really have to ask yourself what you will get from an upgrade to Win 7.

Thanks
    This question is one of those polarizing questions. You either believe Clean install is the best option, or you believe in place upgrade is best. I will not be able to change their opinions, and they will not be able to change mine. I happen to be in the clean install camp.

My feeling is that if I'm going to spend a few hours, the actual installation will complete in about an hour, but reinstalling your apps and tweaking your system to get it "perfect" for you will take a few hours, then I want a very clean, pristine OS without any possible built in problems. As I say, it's my opinion.

Generally, if you have some problems with your current install, they will be carried over into the new OS. They could even become exagerated in the new OS. There is a higher chance of incompatibility or conflicts between drivers in the old OS and new OS. Because I opted for the clean install on 5 different PCs I have no personal experience with these conflicts on my systems, and boy am I glad. I have read many anecdotal stories of others that wish they had Clean installed and are now doing so. Again this is not my experience because I chose Clean Install.

As a side point, if you decide to go clean install and install Win 7 in the old OS partition, a new folder called windows.old will be found. This folder contains your entire old OS. You will be able to open this folder and drag all you data to the new OS. As always, I agree that you should ALWAYS image your PC prior to a major change like a new OS.

I do feel that, with the proper twaeking, Win 7 is faster than Vista, and it's rated as more secure than Vista, so again I am in the camp that this is a good upgrade and you should go for it and have fun. If you do go for it, here is a great tip site for Win 7.

As I stated earlier, those in the In Place Upgrade camp are just as convinced their method was best. I guess my final comment is that you should read as much as you can on the subjest, then decide for yourself. Either way I believe the move to Win 7 is a no brainer. Go For It!!!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    One further consideration- I have an HP XW4600 workstation, and happily ran a Vista Ultimate/ Windows 7 Ultimate RC dual boot for many months. I was happy that the system specs were well and truly adequate for W7.
    When I purchased the W7 Ultimate RTM upgrade version, I opted for a clean install, having used the file and settings transfer wizard to collect the essentials on an external drive. After the removal of Vista from the dual boot, the W7 install ran very easily.
    I then transferred the backed up files and settings on to the new install. It was very disappointing to find that the PC ran slowly, Outlook and Firefox continually froze- FF was almost unusable, and every operation was a slow and unpredictable nightmare. I had very few programs other than FF, Office and an antivirus program installed. After a few desperate days I did another clean install, without using the transfer wizard, and reinstalled only FF and Office and the antivirus-lo and behold- the machine ran beautifully.
    So my advice is that you do a clean install, having backed up your data, images, contacts, bookmarks/favourites etc, and think twice about the use of the transfer wizard- in may case, whatever it had backed up was in some way corrupt and ruined an excellent OS. If you do use the wizard and find that the machine is running poorly, repeat the clean install and spend the extra time reinstalling your software, and using windows. old and our backups to retrieve what you need. The transfer wizard occasionally does a poor job.
    And enjoy Windows 7!

Thanks
    I do concur about Transfer Wizard. Fortunately I found the windows.old folder for the second PC I upgraded from Vista to Win 7. I had installed the RC on 2 PCs, one of which I dual booted with Vista. When it came time for the Clean Install of the RTM, I just put all my data onto a larger flash drive (took a long time) then clean installed, then put the data back from the flash drive. Afterward I saw windows.old. I wish I had seen it earlier in the first upgrade because it worked exceedingly well. Number 2 to 5 upgrades (desktop and 1 laptops for wife and both laptops for our daughters) went smooth as silk with Clean Install. We did get all the data from all 4 through the windows.old folder (as stated I did not find this folder in time for the first).

I do have to say though that all 4 laptops were newer models that came pre-installed with Vista. The desktop is 5 or 6 year old Dell XPS v4 that started with XP, then Vista and now Win 7. All peripherals that worked with Vista, worked with Win 7. I did loose an older printer and scanner because of a lack of new drivers. The printer worked but lost most of it's features. I got a new printer and gave this printer and scanner to my granddaughter along with an even older desktop model that still had XP installed. She was thrilled. Bottom line if you loose a peripheral with the upgrade, there is someone out there that would love it and can't afford one themselves. Generosity is golden.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dianne18 View Post
    When I purchased the W7 Ultimate RTM upgrade version, I opted for a clean install, having used the file and settings transfer wizard to collect the essentials on an external drive.

If you do use the wizard and find that the machine is running poorly, repeat the clean install and spend the extra time reinstalling your software, and using windows. old and our backups to retrieve what you need. The transfer wizard occasionally does a poor job.
    Did you install the Windows Easy Transfer application from the Windows 7 DVD on your Vista install? If you did not, that may have been your problem.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, I may have used a downloaded Windows Easy Transfer application from Microsoft. I can't recall whether that was the case.
    Dianne

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dianne18 View Post
    Joe, I may have used a downloaded Windows Easy Transfer application from Microsoft. I can't recall whether that was the case.
    Dianne
    If you downloaded from Microsoft it should've been either Download details: Windows Easy Transfer for transferring from Windows Vista (32 bit) to Windows 7 or Download details: Windows Easy Transfer for transferring from Windows Vista (64 bit) to Windows 7 depending on the "bitness" of Vista.

Using any older version that was not specifically for a Windows 7 upgrade could've been the cause of your slowdown.

Glad you got it worked out. Enjoy Win7.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have looked in my archives, and it was the first of those two options.
    I had problems with the older File and Settings Transfer a couple of years ago when moving to a new Vista PC from a Vista PC- have never worked out why the process doesn't work well for me, but as you say, all ended up well and it was worth the extra time and effort to solve the problem the way I did.
    Dianne