3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I connected a D-Link DSS-5+ switch to a Belkin N+ wireless router. Since there was no uplink port on the switch, I connected them with a straight-through or a crossover cables on the ports. This configuration worked well. All the PCs connected on the switch and router could share the internet.

However, if I turned off (or unplug) the power of the switch, the internet access of all PCs on switch and router were gone at the same time. After investigation, I found the cable connecting the switch and router played a major role on this issue. If I disconnected the cable from the switch or router while the power of switch was off, the PCs on the router would regain the internet access. What should I do to keep the PCs connected on the router have the internet access while the power of the switch is off?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Sounds like the router does not like having a dead device on the line - powered off switch. You could try a crossover cable to see if that helps - the switch/router negotiate the connection when the power is on. You could also try a 10 or 20 metre cable between the switch and router - it might be long enough for the router to work out what is going on and remain alive.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    What is the reason for the switch in the first place? Is this because you have multiple PCs and do not have enough capabilities in the router? I go directly from my ISP moden to my wired/wireless router. Have a desktop directly wired and several laptops conn. through wireless portion of router. I originally tried a range extender, but this just screwed up my connections.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by P T View Post
    Sounds like the router does not like having a dead device on the line - powered off switch. You could try a crossover cable to see if that helps - the switch/router negotiate the connection when the power is on. You could also try a 10 or 20 metre cable between the switch and router - it might be long enough for the router to work out what is going on and remain alive.

cheers, Paul
    Hi Paul,

According to my original post, I did try the crossover cable. It did not help.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    What is the reason for the switch in the first place? I go directly from my ISP moden to my wired/wireless router. Have a desktop directly wired and several laptops conn. through wireless portion of router. I originally tried a range extender, but this just screwed up my connections.
    Hi Ted,

My router has only four ports. I need more ports to support my wired network (six desktop PCs, one networked printer...). I added this switch to expand the number of port. The wireless is not the issue here.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I thought your post said you'd tried a crossover but it wasn't clear to me.

Just connect the switch to the router and everything else to the switch, then it's not an issue.

cheers, Paul