Thanks
    New problem...for me anyway.

XP PRO SP3

Problem: Disappearing and reappearing desktop icons and task bar. Everytime I open a desktop folder and then close it, all my icons and taskbar disappear for about 3 seconds and then reappear. They remain until I open and close another folder.

No spyware, adware or viruses have been detected.

Annoyed!!!

Thanks
    One more thing. Four users are on the welcome menu. Problem only occurs with my profile.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Cieslinski View Post
    One more thing. Four users are on the welcome menu. Problem only occurs with my profile.
    Have you changed the number of folder customizations XP will track? See My view settings or customizations for a folder are lost or incorrect for more information.

Have you tried deleting your icon cache file (XP rebuilds it automatically if you do). See TweakXP.com - Windows XP Icon Cache for more information.

Joe

Thanks
    Joe, I tried deleting the icon cache as you suggested, but to no avail. Once I logged off and then back on, the cache did recreate itself as the tweak said it would, but no change in behavior. The 1st suggestion did not apply to my problem so I didnt try it. Got anything else??

Thanks
    The problem, I believed at first resided solely on my profile. Actually it is on 3 of the 4 profiles. My wife's profile is the only one that responds as its supposed to.

Still annoyed!!!

Administrator
    Thanks
    The problem, I believed at first resided solely on my profile. Actually it is on 3 of the 4 profiles. My wife's profile is the only one that responds as its supposed to.
    See if TweakXP.com - Make icons in windows appear quicker helps.

Joe

Thanks
    Joe,

thanks for being so diligent in trying to help........however, that didn't work either.

Steve

Administrator
    Thanks
    thanks for being so diligent in trying to help........however, that didn't work either.
    See if Change the icon cache size in Windows XP Pro helps.

Joe

Thanks
    The registry string did not exist until I created it. However, after the reboot, still no change.

Thanks
    Joe, thanks for all your help but I went and tried something I should've tried before. I had been creating incremental restore points while reinstalling some software and I was able to fix the situation by restoring to about 5 days ago when I first realized the problem started. I may have some more reinstalling to do, but this time I'll remember to be smarter about it. Problem solved, only still unknown as to what caused the glitch in the first place.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Joe, thanks for all your help but I went and tried something I should've tried before. I had been creating incremental restore points while reinstalling some software and I was able to fix the situation by restoring to about 5 days ago when I first realized the problem started. I may have some more reinstalling to do, but this time I'll remember to be smarter about it. Problem solved, only still unknown as to what caused the glitch in the first place.
    Glad you were able to resolve it. Keep close track of reinstalls and updates so you might be able to identify the culprit should it happen again.

Joe