Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm starting a project of scanning our old photos and family memorabilia and am having a heck of a time getting the sharp quality I'd like when scanning newspaper articles. Any tips? I have an Epson V300 scanner with Epson Scan software. I'd like to do what I can in the scanning software, but the output quality has been no where near fixable in The Gimp. I'm unable to sharpen enough or eliminate the dottiness in the newspaper articles that contain photos. I've been scanning newspaper articles at 300 dpi, 16-bit grayscale. Is that good? There's also a Descreening option with a "Newsprint 85 lpi" setting, but when I enable it, it doesn't seem to make much difference. What's the secret? Sure hope someone can help me. I'm trying to learn about all this, but am getting frustrated. Guess I need step-by-step instructions and can't seem to find them. I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know the capabilities of Gimp, but if it's feature set includes Gaussian Blur and Unsharp Mask, then after scanning apply a Gaussian Blur (set amount to the minimum level that eliminates the dottiness), then apply an Unsharp Mask to bring back the sharpness. I've had success with this approach with magazine photos and newsprint, when using Photoshop.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You're on the the right track with descreening; with the right settings it should make a noticable difference. Basically you are scanning in too much detail and all the small dots are being emphasized so you might also try leaving it in color scan mode to increase the number of options you can try (you can always flip the image to greyscale later in software). I sometimes found that the "Magazine 150 lpi" did a better job with newsprint but it may just have been a quirk of my scanner.

It will never be perfect though so as Robert indicated the technique of blurring (with the minimum amount of bleeding, or mixing of primary colors) and unsharp masking or high pass sharpening can further improve the image.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to both Bryon and Robert for your suggestions. I tried the Magazine (133 lpi) option instead of the Newspaper (85 lpi) descreening and that helped sharpen the article's accompanying photo. In the Scanner software there's also a Fine Print (175 lpi) setting and I'll have to see if that makes a difference. The Gimp software does have Gaussian Blur and Unsharp Mask, which I experimented with and are helping me clean up the scans somewhat. With both your suggestions, I was able to get sharper, clearer text. Thanks a lot! If you can think of any more suggestions or tips, please pass them on. These are precious family newspaper clippings and I'd like to get the quality as good as possible.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
    These are precious family newspaper clippings and I'd like to get the quality as good as possible.
    Just to throw another angle on this, have you tried placing a black sheet of construction paper behind the newspaper page/article?
    Newspapers are notorious for having the back page 'bleed' through to the front. A black sheet of paper cancels that to some degree. I know I've had very good luck with scanning newspaper printed articles just using this and 300 dpi with no other options selected.
    Try it, you just may like it

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    A black backup sheet and 300 DPI is all that is needed. If any larger than that, the dots will start showing.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.