Thanks
    Since Comodo Firewall does not install properly on my brand-new Win 7 machine I would like to know if the built-in Windows Firewall is adequate. Specifically, can it block outbound connections? If somehow a malware got on my machine and wanted to "phone home" I want to prevent it from doing so. Does Windows Firewall do that? If so, how do I configure its rules?

If not, please suggest freeware alternatives.
    Bill Meacham
    bmeacham98 AT yahoo.com

Thanks
    It is adequate, but probably just that.
    Having it set up for outbound rules is quite difficult from what I hear.
    There is an article from the MS tech net site that explains it's "outbound" rules creation, but I think you have
    to have a PhD or something. (sarcasm)

Check out Zone alarm, or possibly try reinstalling Comodo again.

GOOGLE and test drive.

EDIT
    if you do try a 3rd party firewall, turn off the Window built it one. The built in firewall
    is more sofisticated than it's predecessors and will possibly cause issues. This may even be the
    underlining issue you are having with Comodo's firewall installation.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think Windows Firewall, Windows Security Essentials, Threatfire, Web of Trust, OpenDNS and a hardware router provide as much protection as possible WITHOUT slowing a system down too much or gettting in the frick'n way all the time and I would say the firewall is the least important of them all unless its a system that travels from foreign network to foreign network.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If somehow a malware got on my machine and wanted to "phone home" I want to prevent it from doing so
    Its too late once its onboard, it has the same control you have to modify anything if its written well. What you can block, it can unblock, etc. The best way to limit something that gets onboard is to run as a limited user then the malware is limited as well.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have Win 7 Pro 32-bit and I use Comodo free. When I first switched to Win 7 it had some issues especially with updating but, now it works fine. Try d-loading the newest version and if necessary run the installer in Compatibility mode (the program will actually run in normal mode).
    Current Machine:HP Compaq 6910p with 4GB RAM, Core2Duo @ 2.20 GHz, Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family, Avast free, Malwarebyte's free, TP-Link wireless card (as the built in card has nothing but problems with empty solutions): The card identifies as "Atheros AR922X Wireless Network Adapter". [Not the best machine but it does internet, docs, and vids, and some games (PvZ, Spore)]

Thanks
    I have found Windows Security Essentials to be completely adequate. It works with the Windows Firewall, and it will indeed ask if you want an app to make an internet connection. After a few days of normal use, it has learned what apps you trust and won't ask about them, but if something new tries to connect to the internet, it will block it and give you a heads up.

I also use a router which has a hardware firewall as well, and I only run as a Power User, never as Administrator.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    I have found Windows Security Essentials to be completely adequate. It works with the Windows Firewall, and it will indeed ask if you want an app to make an internet connection. After a few days of normal use, it has learned what apps you trust and won't ask about them, but if something new tries to connect to the internet, it will block it and give you a heads up.

I also use a router which has a hardware firewall as well, and I only run as a Power User, never as Administrator.
    I agree. MSE runs quietly in the background and yet works very effectively. This combined with Windows Firewall gives me a secure feeling. My router just adds to that feeling.

If you keep your PC up to date, periodically scan for nasties and generally be proactive, you can keep yourself safe. In addition, MSE is not only a good AV product, it contains a good Anti-malware product. It seems I get signature updates on a daily basis. In point of fact, MSE disables Windows Defender because it contains all the protection and features of Defender.

I think you will be pleased with this combination.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    If you are using 32bit Windows 7, I think one of the best combinations is "MS Security Essentials" for the Antivirus and "Online Armor" (free) for the firewall. I used to use Comodo but found it too intrusive and it slowed down the system. If you're using 64bit Win7, then I would download the 64bit version of MS Security Essentials and use the Windows Firewall until such times as Online Armor brings out their 64bit version.
    Gus P

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I installed Comodo Firewall on my Windows 7 32-bit laptop about a month ago. The install went smoothly and I've had no problems since. Granted it's a PIA for a few days as Comodo keeps popping up to ask if it's OK for various programs and services to access the internet, but that goes eventually goes away if you let it remember the permissions. The only time I see the popup now is if I am actually doing something that would cause that type of access, such as installing a new program. In this case, I know what is causing the access.

I don't really like a firewall that just lurks in the background and doesn't let you know that it is actually doing it's job, if it is at all. That's sort of like believing a politician when he or she says, "Trust me." I tried Security Essentials with the Windows Firewall before I installed Comodo but, knowing Microsoft's reputation for "feature poor" utilities (e.g. Windows Firewall), I didn't feel comfortable with it. I'll keep using Comodo.

Thanks
    FWIW I too am using MSE and it is just fine. The only problem that I had was a slight case of OHS (Operator Head Space) in where I had adjusted the power settings to get my laptop to go to sleep at a given interval. While that worked out great what I forgot was that I had MSE set to scan in the middle of the night, and it didn't wake up OOPS! when I adjusted that all was well.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by krasnejv View Post
    I installed Comodo Firewall on my Windows 7 32-bit laptop about a month ago. The install went smoothly and I've had no problems since. Granted it's a PIA for a few days as Comodo keeps popping up to ask if it's OK for various programs and services to access the internet, but that goes eventually goes away if you let it remember the permissions. The only time I see the popup now is if I am actually doing something that would cause that type of access, such as installing a new program. In this case, I know what is causing the access.

I don't really like a firewall that just lurks in the background and doesn't let you know that it is actually doing it's job, if it is at all. That's sort of like believing a politician when he or she says, "Trust me." I tried Security Essentials with the Windows Firewall before I installed Comodo but, knowing Microsoft's reputation for "feature poor" utilities (e.g. Windows Firewall), I didn't feel comfortable with it. I'll keep using Comodo.
    I agree, as far as Microsoft reputation goes there aren't all that many of there products I'd trust. I do use Win 7 of course and for easy compatibility and familiarity across systems I use MS-Office. I also have Streets and Trips which I got for free through ACM. As far as Comodo goes it does use a few more resources than some of the others I've found but, I've never had a virus with it that I didn't allow through myself. (Do have to take risk sometimes and try a new program here and there).

To be honest when you mentioned liking to know if your firewall's doing it's job or not I immediately thought of an assistant principle at my old high school who never bothered telling me he dealt with a pretty big issue and looked at me funny when I asked if he had done anything. I don't think he liked me much either...
    Current Machine:HP Compaq 6910p with 4GB RAM, Core2Duo @ 2.20 GHz, Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family, Avast free, Malwarebyte's free, TP-Link wireless card (as the built in card has nothing but problems with empty solutions): The card identifies as "Atheros AR922X Wireless Network Adapter". [Not the best machine but it does internet, docs, and vids, and some games (PvZ, Spore)]