New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello all. I am new to this forum but have been a subscriber to windows secrets for some time.
    I am running windows 7 Pro 64bit. And use Office 2007 Ultimate. This has happened to me a few times, so I have narrowed it down to word 2007. I have to do screenshots of a virtual machine and input them into word for my instructor. It works fine for a while. But then it crashes with a BSOD memory dump. When I get it all started back up, I check the event viewer, and the only thing that shows any kind of error is WINWORD.EXE. I ran Word overnight one day to see if it happened again. But no crash. But it does it whenever I have it in the background and running something else. Not always a virtual machine. I don't know how to open a memory dump file or how to read one if you can. If it happens again I will make a screenshot of the error in the event viewer and post it. I know this is long winded and my first post. But searches came up empty handed. Thank you all for your time and effort.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It sounds like this may be related to the screenshots of the virtual machine rather than Word itself. I wonder if this is a 64bit Windows issue and the memory requirements of multiple screen captures.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It does it even if the virtual machine isn't running. Just if something is running at all other than Word. And I have 4 gigs of ram. I take a screen shot and paste it into word and wait for the next time I need to do another. But I have had it running in the background with other programs running other than the Virtual machine and it crashed.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Can you verify that the machine doesn't crash if Word is closed and you do a series of screen captures without pasting them anywhere? If we can eliminate the Windows clipboard as a possible source of memory overload then that would point more firmly in the direction of a problem with Word itself.

Another possible workflow you could try is to capture the screen shots direct to file while Word is closed and then open Word and insert the images from file. This might avoid the problem.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

New Lounger
    Thanks
    How would I capture a screen directly to file. I don't know how.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrick Smith View Post
    How would I capture a screen directly to file. I don't know how.
    One way to do this would be to do the screen capture, open the Paint application and paste the screen capture into Paint. Then in Paint, use File > SaveAs and save it as a file in the format of your choosing (.bmp. .jpg, .png etc.)

Gary

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok. I did this for a few hours as if I was using word, But using paint instead. No Crash. It has only crashed when word was open. I need to do it so I can get the event viewer log and post it. What all does the memory dump do. When I looked at it, it was something like 300MB in size. Won't open in any program that I know of. I understand that it dumps all your memory in RAM to a file. But why. At least that's how I understand it.

Thanks
    I'm not sure how the Print Screen can cause memory leaks this bad; it can only hold 1 job at a time so if, after you've pasted the last screen capture into Word, you then use Copy to grab one letter of the document, this frees up almost all of the memory that was in use by the screen capture data.

This sounds more like it may be a problem with Word's auto-save feature, try manually saving after each screen capture paste and temporarily disabling the auto-save.

Does the same crash happen in Safe Mode? With a clean boot?

Autoruns, from the Sysinternals suite could be used to checkout and disable any possible 3rd party plugins that may be triggering this behaviour.

As you have some memory dumps, you could download the resources needed to read them and troubleshoot the issue yourself.