Lounger
    Thanks
    I use Win 7 Pro 64 bit. Backup to an external hard drive was working fine until two weeks ago. My backup consists the default - both files/folders and image. When backup starts, I see the progress bar moving but some time later, the backup fails. I can see that new zip files with the right date have been created, but there is no image file with that date. When I click on "more information" I get an error dialog box with error "specified service does not exist as installed service (0x80074024)". The suggestion is to modify backup settings, but as soon as I click on that, the same error occurs. One change I made about the time the problem arose was that I had Norton Utilities 14.5 installed and used the Optimize System Services (recommended services). I noticed that the Windows backup service was disabled (pretty stupid I would think - like no-one ever backs up! Give me a break!). I tried started Win Backup service, but the problem persisted. Norto Utilities had no option to reverse specific services. I uninstalled Norton Utilities but the problem persists. I've sent an email to Norton support, but have heard nothing yet. I've been assuming the problem is with the Windows Backup service, but it could be some other service that is the culprit. Anyone have some idea of what's going on?? I would really hate to re-install Windows, but if that is the only fix, I may have to bite the bullet.

Don P
    Don Plorde

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It could still be Norton as the culprit. Suggest you use the Norton Removal Utility.

Click here

Thanks
    Many in these forums state that Norton is getting better, I say $%*#^ to that. I booted Norton out of my system years ago and am happier for it. You may end up having to reinstall Norton, then start Revo Uninstaller to uninstall ALL of the Norton stuff. Norton has always been one of the worst offenders at leaving junk behind that still affects your system. if you have to go this route, Revo will use the Norton Uninstaller, then will search for all that leftover junk.

One caveat, the Norton Uninstaller may want to restart your PC. DO NOT do this untill Revo completely finishes it's removal. Also, I have always used the advanced removal of Revo and have never had a problem deleting everything it suggests.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Many in these forums state that Norton is getting better, I say $%*#^ to that. I booted Norton out of my system years ago and am happier for it. You may end up having to reinstall Norton, then start Revo Uninstaller to uninstall ALL of the Norton stuff. Norton has always been one of the worst offenders at leaving junk behind that still affects your system. if you have to go this route, Revo will use the Norton Uninstaller, then will search for all that leftover junk.

One caveat, the Norton Uninstaller may want to restart your PC. DO NOT do this untill Revo completely finishes it's removal. Also, I have always used the advanced removal of Revo and have never had a problem deleting everything it suggests.
    I do use Revo uninstaller all the time. Any number of users blast Norton products. That doesn't include me. Admittedly early Norton products were slow and resource hoggers. The new versions (Norton Internet Security 2009/2010 and Norton 360 are dramatically better, they are very fast and consume very little resources. Symantec learned their lesson and produced much superior products. I don't want to imply that other users have their own views, that is to be expected. I'm sticking with Norton but don't expect or want to push my views. Don P
    Don Plorde

Thanks
    Many in these forums state that Norton is getting better, I say $%*#^ to that.
    I assume that you are speaking from personal experience with the latest (last few years) Norton products? Somehow I doubt it. But it is certainly easy to jump on the "bash Norton bandwagon" isn't it?
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Thanks
    I believe that app manufacturers sow what so ever that they reap! I was a Norton user for many years, and finally wised up. Yes, I do not like Norton, and will never put them on my PC again. The last time I made that mistake cost me dearly! Yes, I will bash them whenever I feel it appropriate!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Yes, I will bash them whenever I feel it appropriate!
    Now that's the sort of unbiased, informed (? ? ?) and obviously painstakingly researched information that users are looking for. Oh my!
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    For a long time Norton products were terrible on system resources. However, as stated by others in the Lounge that use Norton the latest releases are much less stressful on the system. That is also backed up by independent reviews.

This is becoming close to breaking both Rules 9 - No personal insults or flames and Rules 11 Document critiques of specific companies.

So, let's dial it back a bit and get back on point.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    For a long time Norton products were terrible on system resources. However, as stated by others in the Lounge that use Norton the latest releases are much less stressful on the system. That is also backed up by independent reviews.

This is becoming close to breaking both Rules 9 - No personal insults or flames and Rules 11 Document critiques of specific companies.

So, let's dial it back a bit and get back on point.

Joe
    I am sorry about the rant. I sometimes over react when someone questions my opinions. They do come from many years of using the products mentioned. Again, I apologize for my rant!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you gotten a reply from Microsoft? This error looks new, but I see someone else reported it with the Ultimate Release Candidate as well. That was back in July 2009. I have found Win7 Backup to be very fragile. That is why I was looking through these posts. Am hoping to find a more reliable product. Robustness and flexibility should trump speed, size or 'slick' features. -IMHO