Thread: Wiped out XP

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Wiped out XP

After a recent spate of 'virus-like activity' (I put it this way because my up to date NAV has failed to bring up anything) where my *.exe files failed to run and instead opened in Notepad, and all shortcuts opened My Documents, I restored normality to Win 2kP using 'Last known good...' All now seems fine, except that on selecting XP from the boot menu (i used to be able to triple boot) I get the error message :
    Windows 2000 cannot load. WindowsSystem32ConfigSystem is either missing or corrupt. ( not accurate; Win 2k loads fine).
    My question is, can I get XP to boot as it used to, or will I have to resort to re-installing it? From the sound of the name, it doesn't seem likely I can manually extract it.

Later : Installed XP again. During the first re-start, tried XP (as distinct from XP Setup) in the loader menu. It worked. Am now going to see if that's all that is needed.

Later Still : It was.

Rgds

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Wiped out XP

If you install WinXP in a different partition then Win2k, check BOOT.INI file in the root of boot partition: maybe Win2k option points on wrong partition. If you install WinXP and Win2k on the same partition, I'm afraid the only way is to reformat partition and start from scratches. And install Win2k and WinXP on different partitions, of course.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Wiped out XP

Thanks for the reply. Problem sorted by a reinstall, and all ok after first restart. I triple boot, and always install a new OS into a different partition, which I keep at FAT32 - otherwise you have to go through the procedure you describe.
    Boot.ini is one of my favorite places, but it can't help if the files it points to are corrupt.

Rgds