Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a home made dvd made by a friend. I would like to make a sound track from this dvd. I found a number of freeware programs that I was able to rip the sound track like virtual dub but the recording is in stereo and all I got was a single channel or track not stereo. I see that it is possible to rip a soundtrack in Window Media Player 12 but it only shows the capability of ripping from a cd and this dvd is about 2 hrs.

How can I rip the audio portion of the dvd and then burn 2 cd's ? Is it doable in Windows Media Player ?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arthur brandwein View Post
    I have a home made dvd made by a friend. I would like to make a sound track from this dvd. I found a number of freeware programs that I was able to rip the sound track like virtual dub but the recording is in stereo and all I got was a single channel or track not stereo. I see that it is possible to rip a soundtrack in Window Media Player 12 but it only shows the capability of ripping from a cd and this dvd is about 2 hrs.

How can I rip the audio portion of the dvd and then burn 2 cd's ? Is it doable in Windows Media Player ?
    Does Virtual dub allow you select the audio source? Audacity does,

Using the Windows Volume Control, mute (or disconnect) the microphone feed.
    Close down any programs that are likely to generate any 'system' sounds (Mail programs and any IM programs are typical culprits)
    In Audacity select the source as Stereo Mix
    Press the red button to record and start the DVD playing

Come back in 2 hours - stop the recording. Trim the start and end and export as mp3 (you'll need to download the lame mp3 encoder for this),

Works like magic.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gfamily View Post
    Come back in 2 hours - stop the recording. Trim the start and end and export as mp3 (you'll need to download the lame mp3 encoder for this),
    Exporting as WAV is also possible with Audacity.
    Gre

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There is a nice encoding program called AutoGK that I use for encoding videos to Xvid or Divx. One of the by-products of an encoding is it leaves a folder afterwards called agk_tmp and in that folder it will have the audio track, in my case both as an ac3 file and as an mp3 file since I encode the audio over to mp3 all the time for universal compatibility.

You would have to copy the .vob dvd video files from the DVD to a hard drive I think (I always do) and use the advanced settings of AutoGK to set audio type and quality (set the video to a lower quality to speed up the process), but after its finished, toss the video file created and keep the audio, which would be as clean as the original. Recording the analog audio with Audacity will work but it might degrade somewhat in the process unless your system is very "quiet."

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try http://www.videohelp.com/tools/PgcDemux, it unpacks the VOB files on a DVD into their component parts, one of which is the WAV file for the audio.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I was trying audacity as mentioned above and I got this error which would pertain probably to all of the above suggestions :

"Error opening sound device. Please check input device settings and project sample rate"

How do I get around the above error ?

Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Error opening sound device. Please check input device settings and project sample rate" where is this ?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was trying audacity as mentioned above and I got this error which would pertain probably to all of the above suggestions :

"Error opening sound device. Please check input device settings and project sample rate"

How do I get around the above error ?

Thanks
    I've seen somewhere that it can be caused when the format of the signal produced by the stereo mixer doesn't correspond to the settings that Audacity has for processing the system.
    I think the main suggestions have been as follows
    Open Audacity and go to Edit | Preferences.
    On the first tab (Audio I/O) select your soundcard as the device for Recording. "Play other tracks..." and "Software Playthrough..." should both be unselected.
    On the second tab (Quality) I have a Default Sample Rate of 44100Hz and a Default Sample Format of 32 bit float.

OK
    and try again.
    Let us know how you get on.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I went to preferences. My problems are that it doesn't show my sound card. It shows speakers hD, Microsoft sound mapper-output and digital audio(S/PDIF)2 high but there is nothing listed at all Recording device so I can't do anything. It may see my setting of Microsoft Sound Mapper but that's all. It seems to me that I should use a separate sound card which I have that Window 7 audio drivers and see what I can get. Will try it and report back. Right now using the HD driver of Microsoft doesn't give me any possibilities within Audacity.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I put in the sound card from CompUSA and I now have many options including stereo Mix (2-C-MediaPCI Audio), line in, aux,cd player, microphone and Microsoft Sound Maper. Should I set it for stereo mix or cd player since I will be playing the dvd on my cd player. This tells me that the Microsoft HD driver has limited possibilities. At least I am getting somewhere. I look forward to your reply.

Thanks

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I put in the sound card from CompUSA and I now have many options including stereo Mix (2-C-MediaPCI Audio), line in, aux,cd player, microphone and Microsoft Sound Maper. Should I set it for stereo mix or cd player since I will be playing the dvd on my cd player. This tells me that the Microsoft HD driver has limited possibilities. At least I am getting somewhere. I look forward to your reply.

Thanks
    Personally I would go with stereo Mix as I think this will give you the most flexibility.
    What I would suggest is that you mute the other feeds, so that you don't pick up noises through the microphone.

You also need to make sure that other programs don't add their own sounds while you're recording from the dvd; so (depending on which version of Windows you're running) you need to either
    - if running XP, shut down programs that make 'you've got mail / messages' sounds
    - if running VIsta /Win7 - click on the sound manager icon in the system tray (right end of task bar) - this will allow you to control sounds from individual programs)

Have you downloaded the lame_enc dll file ? This will be needed to export the Audacity recording as an mp3 file. You can get it from here

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well I tried making a few recordings in Audacity once the files were made I exported them as a Wav file but there wasn't any sound coming from the new files I created. I made certain that I was able to play the dvd I wanted to acquire recording of the audio by just playing this dvd thru Windows Media Player. My setup is as follows :

Under Volume control options I selected default communications device C-Media Speakers not

Speakers HD audio.

Windows Sound works with out a hitch

Recording Devices- C-Media PCI Audio Device

Microphone-unavailable
    cd player-unavailable I even tried making a wav file using cd player and didn't work
    Aux in-unavailable
    Live In-unavailable
    Stereo Mix -default device

Stereo Mix Properties
    levels 100%
    listen playback through this device Speakers (2) C-Media PCI audio Device
    Advanced
    default format is 2 ch 16 bit 44.1 HZ CD quality
    allow apps to take exclusive control of device-enabled
    give exclusive media applications priorite-enabled

Why am I not hearing any sound from the files I made. I made files that were 40 minute durations.

The only interesting thing out of this is that I can use the audio card to head audio through the speakers and the audio on the Intel motherboard is usuable for listening to sound thru my headphones. Audio from the front panel never worked and never found correct driver and I a don't know if Intel will make a driver available.

Ambertape

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well I tried making a few recordings in Audacity once the files were made I exported them as a Wav file but there wasn't any sound coming from the new files I created. I made certain that I was able to play the dvd I wanted to acquire recording of the audio by just playing this dvd thru Windows Media Player.
    Did your Audacity session look like this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

New Lounger
    Thanks
    not at all. There seemed to be a straight line.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    not at all. There seemed to be a straight line.
    That's what I suspected. Your sound card Stereo mixer is not picking up the audio signal from the DVD player.

Not sure where we go from here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast