New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have recently experienced a new issue with my Windows XP installation and I have tried everything that I've been able to find on the good forums. This is the issue: When I open the Display applet in the Control Panel and choose Desktop, I can Browse to files and folders and choose a new background, but the the Apply button is disabled and if I click OK nothing changes.

I can change the background another way, though. Open a Photo folder, select an image, right click on it and choose Set as Desktop Background.l

I have tried numerous registry edits, as per the aforementioned forums. I have also "cleaned" my registry using CheckIt's registry utility. I did have a virus (thanks AVG - NOT!!!), but 2 utilities (adaware and comodo) didn't find any malware.

Other than reinstalling Windows (which is a pain, and not really worth the effort to fix this), how can I "re-enable" my Apply button so that I can make changes to my desktop? By the way, I've tried all I can think of by logging in as an administrator. Also, don't give me the standard "try this" basic stuff. That's all been done

Any help is much appreciated.
    Bill Davis
    Computer Monkeys

Administrator
    Thanks
    Maybe you should enumerate all the "basic stuff" you've tried so it isn't suggested. We don't know what you consider basic nor what you've tried.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    Maybe you should enumerate all the "basic stuff" you've tried so it isn't suggested. We don't know what you consider basic nor what you've tried.

Joe
    Yes, you're right. It's going to be difficult to explain because I tried a LOT!

Basically, I looked for any and all references to "wallpaper" and "background" in the registry. I didn't remove them, but I did modify some of them. For example, I looked for "NoChangingWallPaper" and made adjustments (for example, my registry didn't contain the entry, so I made a new key along with a new dword entry with value 0, per many of the posts I found online (no luck).

I tried scanning my registry with CheckIt Registry Cleaner. No luck.

I tried this: Click Start-Run and type:

regsvr32 /i shimgvw.dll
    regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

No can-do.

I tried this - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921049

Again, no luck.

Anything else? Probably, but I don't remember for sure.
    Bill Davis
    Computer Monkeys

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by billspaced View Post
    Basically, I looked for any and all references to "wallpaper" and "background" in the registry. I didn't remove them, but I did modify some of them. For example, I looked for "NoChangingWallPaper" and made adjustments (for example, my registry didn't contain the entry, so I made a new key along with a new dword entry with value 0, per many of the posts I found online (no luck).
    Did you change the registry in both places as indicated in this thread - Cannot Change the Desktop Wallpaper - Windows XP and the Display - Desktop?

Did you check for registry keys as indicated in this thread - Can't change wallpaper - XP - SP2 - Windows-XP-General-Discussion - Windows-XP?

Joe

Thanks
    Do you have a System Restore point dated to just prior to this problem?. If so, that could potentially put it back to normal.

If not enter sfc /scannow on the command line to have all system files checked for integrity, and replaced if necessary.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill