Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cross-Reference in Context (Word 2000 SR-1)

I'm a beginning-to-intermediate user of Word, so I could easily be causing this problem myself, but . . .
    in many of my longer legal documents, I use numbered styles (Heading 1 level = Article I, II, III etc.; Heading 2 level = , e.g., Section 2.01(a)).

I will insert a cross reference in one part of the agreement to another (e.g., "as defined in Section 2.01(a)"), which can make my life immeasurably easier as the document goes through 6 or 7 revisions, because Word automatically renumbers the sections, and when updated, the cross-references renumber as well.

My problem is, what I am inserting is a numbered item, and among the choices in the "insert reference" to box are "paragraph number (no context)", and "paragraph number (full context)". The former gives me a reference (using the example above) to a paragraph "(a)" - useless when there may be 20 such paragraphs in the document. The latter gives me "ArticleII,Section 2.01(a)" which is long, unwieldy, and yes, includes no spacing between the "Article" reference and the "Section" reference.

I can enter the field which contains the cross reference and edit out the excess verbiage, but the next time the fields are updated - the excess baggage is back!

Anyone know how to control this (or know of an add-in etc.) to do same - I guess what I need is something in between "full context" and "no context". Many TIA.

Thanks

Re: Cross-Reference in Context (Word 2000 SR-1)

You might try using multiple cross-reference fields to parse the parts of the reference that you want. The problem with this is that if you move the paragraph out of its context, that change won't register. You could also put a page reference field into your cross-reference. Among the links at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.addbalance.com/word/wordwebresources.htm#Fields> Web Resources - Fields</A> is one to Microsoft's online documentation for fields and field switches. You may want to check those out.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cross-Reference in Context (Word 2000 SR-1)

I have macros that would solve your problem, but I doubt that they'll be released this year.

Anyway, there's no built-in way to do what you want as of Office 2000 without using macros. Haven't looked at Word 10 yet.