Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Using Windows XP. After a routine download of Microsoft patches yesterday I noticed today that the Recycle Bin that is usually in the top left hand corner of the desktop was missing. In its place was an icon titled "Norton Protection Recycle Bin". No longer are the files I deleted shown. Instead there is a listing of files apparently deleted by Norton Security.
    I cannot decipher what happened.
    How can I restore the regular Recycle Bin? Where did it go?
    Sincerely,
    Slim

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Norton Protection Recycle Bin is likely to be a combination of the Windows RB and Norton. It indicates that you have Norton installed. If Norton is not installed it will be a left over from a Norton installation and you should try the Norton un-installer to clean up the remains.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    That is one of the things I used to hate about Norton. It always seemed to be very obtrusive. And it always seemed to be difficult to control. I finally wised up and got rid of it. My system speeded up and I got a free AV such as Avast or now MSE which does as good a job and has a much smaller footprint. Plus MSE includes an AV and Anti Malware that is very good. Use a good uninstaller such as Revo Uninstaller to get rid of Nortonn.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by P T View Post
    Norton Protection Recycle Bin is likely to be a combination of the Windows RB and Norton. It indicates that you have Norton installed. If Norton is not installed it will be a left over from a Norton installation and you should try the Norton un-installer to clean up the remains.

cheers, Paul
    Thanks Paul, it does appear that Norton has usurped control of the Recycle Bin. The number of items that show up in the bin daily is amazing and most of the titles are in some code. There may be a reason for this arrangement but it came as a surprise to me and I haven't yet learned how to deal with it.
    Regards,
    Slim

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    That is one of the things I used to hate about Norton. It always seemed to be very obtrusive. And it always seemed to be difficult to control. I finally wised up and got rid of it. My system speeded up and I got a free AV such as Avast or now MSE which does as good a job and has a much smaller footprint. Plus MSE includes an AV and Anti Malware that is very good. Use a good uninstaller such as Revo Uninstaller to get rid of Nortonn.
    Thanks for the reply Ted. I am not in love with Norton but I think I will try to live with it for a while. This action by Norton to control the Recycle Bin is extremely obtrusive and particularly so when it is done without advice or notification.
    Regards,
    Slim

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    Using Windows XP. After a routine download of Microsoft patches yesterday I noticed today that the Recycle Bin that is usually in the top left hand corner of the desktop was missing. In its place was an icon titled "Norton Protection Recycle Bin". No longer are the files I deleted shown. Instead there is a listing of files apparently deleted by Norton Security.
    ****I cannot decipher what happened.
    ****How can I restore the regular Recycle Bin? Where did it go?
    ****** Sincerely,
    **********Slim
    Norton have some guidance about disabling the Norton Recycle Bin*here.

Ian