New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi.

For a while now, WMP wouldn't add new music I'd downloaded to it's library. I looked online about the problem, and thought it was a corrupt database. So I copied the WMP folder to the desktop and then deleted the database in the original folder. When I started WMP again, I clicked on the search link. It finds the music files but won't add them to the database. 'x files found 0 added to library'. I can double click on individual files in the Music folder and WMP will play them, but again, it doesn't add them to the library. As far as I can see, I've got all the right boxes ticked. inc add media files to library when played, so it's not that.

I'm wondering if the corruption issue goes beyond the database. I downloaded another copy of WMP from the Microsoft site, but it's an older version and I can't repair my WMP with it. It came bundled with Vista and I can't see a way to uninstall it, it's not in the uninstall program list.

I'm really annoyed as I like WMP and haven't found another media player that I like as much.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

thanks
    Hope

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know the answer but I use MediaMonkey for playing media.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out.

Hope

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hopeful512 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out.
    Which folder did you copy? The WMP database is in C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player under Vista.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, that's the one I copied. Don't know why really as it wasn't working, but you know, backing up just is case something in it is needed.... I put it on the desktop.

Hope

Administrator
    Thanks
    Yes, that's the one I copied. Don't know why really as it wasn't working, but you know, backing up just is case something in it is needed.... I put it on the desktop.
    Open C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player\wmpfolders.wmdb in Notepad - don't worry it is just an XML file. See if any of the folders are marked as "dirty" or "exclude" (a value other than 0).

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    Open C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player\wmpfolders.wmdb in Notepad - don't worry it is just an XML file. See if any of the folders are marked as "dirty" or "exclude" (a value other than 0).

Joe

On my system it seems all my pictures folders are listed as Dirty (-1). I am not having any problems I know of. What does this mean? I do not want to elliminate these folders as they contain all my pics. Is this something that needs fixing? How would I fix them if they need it?

Note: Many other folder are listed as Dirty (0) By the way I'm using Win 7 not Vista if this makes a diff.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    On my system it seems all my pictures folders are listed as Dirty (-1). I am not having any problems I know of. What does this mean? I do not want to elliminate these folders as they contain all my pics. Is this something that needs fixing? How would I fix them if they need it?

Note: Many other folder are listed as Dirty (0) By the way I'm using Win 7 not Vista if this makes a diff.
    Not sure. Just thought I'd check.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks

Hope
    When you copied the folder did you stop all the Windows Media services before you copied it?

Also, See How do I rebuild a broken Media Library
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, sorry to take so long to respond.

I followed some instructions somewhere when I did it and it said to stop all the windows media services before copying the library folder. So I did. And I've looked at the .xml file. There's a couple of -1 values for photos but none for the music files. I've looked at the link you gave downloaded and it said it didn't apply to my system (and I downloaded the correct version for my machine. Vista 32 bit). I have service pack 2 installed. Don't know if that makes a difference.

thanks for the suggestion anyway,
    Hope

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Taken me a while to get round to it but I've checked out Media Monkey and it's just what I wanted. Thanks Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    For weeks and weeks I was pulling my hair out because WMP11 stopped adding some, not all music folders / files to the library. Eventually I found the following on the internet, sorry but can't remember where but it cured my problem instantly.

Apparently almost 50% of my music had the System attribute reset somehow and that prevented WMP11 from 'seeing' many files. The cure is as follows:
    1 Go to the command prompt;
    2 Navigate to your music folder
    3 Type attrib -s *.* /d /s and press Enter.

After that ALL my music files were added to WMP11 Library.

The full description was as follows;

To find out if a directory entry has the System attribute set, you have to open the Command Prompt. Then navigate to Music folder, which is usually under your profile as "My Music"
    cd /d "%USERPROFILE%\My Documents\My Music\"
    Then get a listing of the directories that have the System attribute set:
    dir /ads /s

This lists directories only that have the System attribute set. Then use the ATTRIB command to reset the System attribute:
    attrib -s *.* /d /s

This will turn off the System attribute on all files and directories. A number of files that are hidden will generate errors, but that can be ignored.