Thanks
    How do I indent both sides of a block of text so that the indents are equal?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Choose Format > Paragraph and set the left and right indent to the same number.

In Word 2007 you get to the same dialog by clicking the tiny icon in the bottom right of the paragraph group on the Home ribbon.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Lockton View Post
    Choose Format > Paragraph and set the left and right indent to the same number.

In Word 2007 you get to the same dialog by clicking the tiny icon in the bottom right of the paragraph group on the Home ribbon.
    That's it Andrew. Thanks. I'm assuming that I could set up a style to allow for "painting" the format?

Regards,
    Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I don't know about 2010, but in other versions of Word, the format painter will copy indents without needing to set up a style.

Setting up a style, and applying it, is another way to apply the same indents to a paragraph.
    Regards
    John

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, in Word 2010 you can use a style or simply use the Format Painter to copy the indents.

Remember that the Format Painter essentially is a way of copying paragraph formatting -- and that indents are an aspect of paragraph formatting (as is everything that can be configured via the Paragraph dialog). Another way to copy paragraph formatting is to turn on the non-printing characters (by pressing Ctrl Shift * [asterisk] or by clicking the paragraph symbol / pilcrow in the Paragraph group on the Home tab), select the paragraph symbol at the end of a paragraph whose formatting you want to duplicate, then paste the paragraph symbol at the end of one or more paragraphs to which you want to apply the formatting.

There are always a few different ways to accomplish the same task in Word.

Jan
    Author, Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2010
    and Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007

For Word and WordPerfect tips, visit my blog at http://compusavvy.wordpress.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by janbphd View Post
    Yes, in Word 2010 you can use a style or simply use the Format Painter to copy the indents.

Remember that the Format Painter essentially is a way of copying paragraph formatting -- and that indents are an aspect of paragraph formatting (as is everything that can be configured via the Paragraph dialog). Another way to copy paragraph formatting is to turn on the non-printing characters (by pressing Ctrl Shift * [asterisk] or by clicking the paragraph symbol / pilcrow in the Paragraph group on the Home tab), select the paragraph symbol at the end of a paragraph whose formatting you want to duplicate, then paste the paragraph symbol at the end of one or more paragraphs to which you want to apply the formatting.

There are always a few different ways to accomplish the same task in Word.

Jan
    Jan, thanks. I'll have to take a look at format "painting"...it's something I've never used.

Regards,
    Chuck

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The way the Format Painter works is: Insert your cursor into a paragraph with formatting you want to copy (you don't have to select the paragraph). If you plan to copy the formatting to more than one paragraph, double-click the paintbrush symbol (in the Clipboard group on the Home tab). If you plan to copy the formatting to only one paragraph, click the paintbrush once. As you move the mouse pointer, it turns into a paintbrush. Single-click within the paragraph(s) to which you want to apply the formatting.

If you have double-clicked the paintbrush symbol (to copy the formatting to multiple paragraphs), you'll need to single-click it when you're finished in order to turn off the Format Painter.

It's a very cool feature!

Jan

P.S. Note that the Format Painter also will copy character formatting (such as bold or italics) if you cursor happens to be within text in the "model" paragraph to which character formatting has been applied (or, I believe, if character formatting has been applied to the entire "model" paragraph). Therefore, you need to be somewhat careful about the placement of your cursor so that you don't inadvertently copy unwanted character formatting.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Note that after setting the left and right indents, you also need to set the text to Justify or you'll still have a ragged right margin.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by janbphd View Post
    The way the Format Painter works is: Insert your cursor into a paragraph with formatting you want to copy (you don't have to select the paragraph). If you plan to copy the formatting to more than one paragraph, double-click the paintbrush symbol (in the Clipboard group on the Home tab). If you plan to copy the formatting to only one paragraph, click the paintbrush once. As you move the mouse pointer, it turns into a paintbrush. Single-click within the paragraph(s) to which you want to apply the formatting.

If you have double-clicked the paintbrush symbol (to copy the formatting to multiple paragraphs), you'll need to single-click it when you're finished in order to turn off the Format Painter.

It's a very cool feature!

Jan

P.S. Note that the Format Painter also will copy character formatting (such as bold or italics) if you cursor happens to be within text in the "model" paragraph to which character formatting has been applied (or, I believe, if character formatting has been applied to the entire "model" paragraph). Therefore, you need to be somewhat careful about the placement of your cursor so that you don't inadvertently copy unwanted character formatting.
    Jan, that is cool! Thanks!

Chuck

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Farrell View Post
    Note that after setting the left and right indents, you also need to set the text to Justify or you'll still have a ragged right margin.
    Yea, I found that out! Thanks Terry.

Chuck

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Someone (actually, a member of WordPerfect Universe!) recently told me about a set of key combinations you can use to copy and paste formatting -- of which I had been unaware. I've tested it a few times in Word 2010 (and a couple of times in Word 2007), and it seems to work pretty reliably.

With your cursor in a paragraph whose formatting you want to copy, press Ctrl Shift C.

Then place the cursor in a paragraph whose formatting you want to change (to emulate that of the first paragraph), and press Ctrl Shift V.

I'm not sure why I never stumbled across those key combinations before. They're very handy, especially for folks like me who rely on keystrokes and who aren't very dexterous with the mouse.

Jan