2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Using Office XP.
    How can I insert a cross reference to a caption without including the label.
    I want to insert a reference to "Figures 1, 2 and 4" but can't seem to find a way to not put "Figure" with the numbers.
    I tried to modify the field code and "supress all non-delimiter characters" without success.
    Please help.
    Tks.
    Johanne Champagne
    Montreal (Quebec) CANADA

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It looks like there's nothing available within the built-in options for cross-references to captions, that will allow you to do that.

There is a workaround, that would be a pain to implement (and would have one very big drawback), but that might work in a limited capacity:

For every Figure caption in the document (or at least, for those you need to be able to set cross-refs to): Select just the number part of the caption. Then go to Insert > Bookmark, and add a bookmark by typing in a name that tracks the caption number, for example "Fig1".

Then when you add the cross-references, add the cross-refs to the bookmarks, rather than the captions - this would let you get a result like "Figures 1, 2 and 4".

The big drawback is that if you ever made any edits that changed the order of the captions, you could update the caption numbers automatically by updating the fields, but the bookmarks would still be stuck referring to the previously-assigned number. [Editing my edit - after yet more testing, I think the originally-identified drawback stands. - GF]

Gary

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Frieder View Post
    It looks like there's nothing available within the built-in options for cross-references to captions, that will allow you to do that.

There is a workaround, that would be a pain to implement (and would have one very big drawback), but that might work in a limited capacity:

Gary
    Hi Gary,

Why make it so difficult?

Simply insert the cross-reference in the normal manner, then select the cross-reference and press Shift-F9 to expose the field code, which will look something like:
    { REF _Ref218925266 \h } or { REF _Ref218925266 }
    Simply change this to:
    { REF _Ref218925266 \# 0 \h } or { REF _Ref218925266 \# 0 }
    by adding the '\# 0' - before the \h (if it appears). When you're done, press F9 again to update the field.

The \h switch in the above example indicates a cross-reference inserted as a hyperlink; if you chose not to hyperlink the cross-reference, the field will not have this switch.

See: 'The brilliant way'
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    Why make it so difficult?
    Because we mere mortals lack your insight into bending fields to your will? (at least if I came up with a similar solution as Suzanne Barnhill's, I figure I'm in good company!) Very cool, thanks.

Gary

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The \# 0 worked just fine.
    Tks guys.
    jc
    Johanne Champagne
    Montreal (Quebec) CANADA