New Lounger
    Thanks
    I recently did a clean install of W7 on a relatively new Acer laptop. Having used Acronis for imaging on an XP desktop was enamoured with the fact that W7 had imaging and backup software included. After having installed all the applications, created an image on the DVD drive since I did not have the hard disk partitioned at this point. A couple of weeks later finally used Partition Wizzard to resize partition C and created new partition E. Then created another image directly to partition E. Recently when trying to recover using the image on partition E, windows did not allow me to chose that image. It would only give me the choice of using the image created on the DVD drive D to recover from. Tried several options to access the image on E, unsucessfuly. Windows recognizes partition E both in windows explorer as well as Disk Manager.
    Now it appears the Windows has the same problem with the regular backup program. I had run the regular backup to the dvd previously. However during the above exercise I did a new backup onto a thumb drive (F). When trying to restore from that backup a similar probelm as the above occurred. Windows would not recognize the backup F on the thumb drive, only the one on the dvd. Again despite trying several options could not divert the restore program to the F drive.
    Has anyone run into the same problem and if so, what is the solution. I have looked throughtout this lounge without finding an answer. Any help will be greatly appreciated. By the way was able to fix my problem, but would like to solve this before I actually need the image or the backup
    Thanks for any help in advance.

Peter
    Peter Emch

Thanks
    I have not seen that problem. What version of Win 7 do you have? On my Ultimate edition I could place the image easily on a DVD-R, DVD-RW and Ext. HDD using the Win 7 B/U utility. On my wife's Win HP, I could not B/U to DVD-R media, but only to DVD-RW. I was also able to B/U to the same Ext HDD. I found Win 7 was slow, but created an image I could use. I switched to Acronis True Image Home 2010 and got the images in about 1/4 of the time. I have not tried to image onto another partition. This is sometimes dangerous because if your hard drive fries, you will also loose the image. You may want to consider other media for your B/U.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Have you tried to do a image recovery from the bootable restore disk?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am using Windows 7 Premium 32 bit. Yes I have tried to recover the image using the recovery disk, but with the same problem. I am aware of the problems with puttinmg the image on a separate partition in case of a hard disk failure. I have not tried to recover using the image I have on the dvd, since that image is not as recent as the one on the partition E, but if necessary will do so as a last effort. Do think there must be a way of doing it from the partition though.
    Peter Emch

Thanks
    I'm not sure with Home Premium. The back up is somewhat more limited with that version. You might try a 3rd party to see if this works. Acronis has a trial period. Also Macrium Reflect has a free edition.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you very much for your effort. Still think there is probably an easy way around the problem. Will call the monster Microsoft and see if I can get a free hand. If not will go to third party. For my X|P machine have free Seagate disk wizard which is actually a lite version of Acronis but works very well. Will see if they have a W7 compatible version. Again thanks for your efforts.

Peter
    Peter Emch

Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted,
    With Acronis can you restore to a newly built machine which is an 'upgrade' to where the image came frome?

Thanks
    I believe you can, but you will most likely have to reactivate win 7 because of the new hardware. This is generally not a big deal, but you will have to remove it from the original PC if it is still working.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wmfay1 View Post
    Ted,
    With Acronis can you restore to a newly built machine which is an 'upgrade' to where the image came frome?
    If you try to restore an Acronis image file to a different PC, it may fail due to hardware differences (something to do with HAL - the hardware abstraction layer). They have an add-on product (for Acronis True Image Home 2010) called the Acronis Plus pack, which is supposed to remedy this problem.

Warning - Several users on the Acronis forums have stated that the Acronis Plus Pack does not work for them. I have not had success helping a friend move his image files from a six year old Toshiba laptop to a new Toshiba laptop (both running Windows XP).
    Rick Groszkiewicz
    Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Rick!
    You look like the kind of guy I could have a cup of coffee with...
    That's what I figured...
    But you never know, someone might come up with an idea which is actually useful.
    As opposed to the kind of people who say, "I've got an app for that." (ca-chING!)
    Many years ago when you had three choices if you wanted to get anything done with a computer, COBOL, FORTRAN or Assembler, my roommates and I postulated a 4th language whose purpose was to negotiate, interpret and mediate between all the various incompatible systems so you could always get to "there" from "here". We named this mythical language "Flexol". 40 years later, almost no progress has been made on implementing that language! In fact, like with Holden Caulfield, every time I turn around, someone has introduced yet another gotcha in what should be an otherwise reliable and straight forward process.
    When I was reading the first post in this thread, I was thinking, "I wonder igf these people have a clue what would be involved in implementing the code behind all these features they expect to have at their disposal?" "Have they a clue what the decision trees would look like?" "Have they any idea how many ways a process like that could go wrong?"
    Have you ever read about a character named Richard Feynman? I always think of him when I get into these kind of discussions. These days, too few people appreciate what really goes on under the covers.