PWyatt1

Window App Querying a DB

I am looking for an application that allows me to create one or more windows in an HTML page, preferably a Java applet. The app(s). needs to continuously query a SQL database on a remote server to see if any updates have happened, and if so, display values from the DB.

Can anyone help?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Window App Querying a DB

I suspect you might have to look at an ASP or JSP application. Javascript at least, and probably Java, specifically prohibit remote accesses directly onto the server.

But I'm only feeling my way on this, so take it with a grain of salt.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Thanks

I think there is a way with a Java or ActiveX applet, like a stock or news ticker. I'm not sure there is a way with JavaScript, as I don't know whether a script can run continuously.

I think your intuition that there needs to be something between the browser and the database may be correct. The problem I see with ASP and JSP is that the page is frozen at the moment of download, and would have to be refreshed to update. If this took place in one frame, rather than replacing the whole page, it probably wouldn't be too jarring, and it's much simpler to code than Java or some other language.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Maybe a setTimeout, which refreshes the content of an iFrame at a periodic interval, would override the static nature of an html page. I don't know if the contents can be an asp page, or whether there's another way of accessing the database.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

PWyatt1

Thanks for the help guys. I still haven't figured out how to solve this problem. If you hear or find out something in the future, please let me know.