3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Darling Daughter just bought herself a new HP laptop. She wants to move data, music, movies, apps and other files from her WinXP Dell LT to her new Win7 HP LT. I thought I'd suggest that she use a null modem in the form of a Cat5 cable and set her IP and Subnet Mask Addresses in each machine then allow file sharing on her old Dell. I can handle all that, but I have 2 questions: 1) What, if anything, else is involved in a regular null modem file transfer? For example, should she use File Manager or some other app to accomplish the moves? Also, what, if anything, must be done to network the 2 machines? 2) Are there any special considerations for using a null modem between WinXP and Win7 based machines? For example, are there any differences in TCP/IP implementations that must be taken into account? Will we run into problems networking across OS's?

TIA

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The network is standard TCP/IP. the only requirement is that you have different IP addresses - but you knew that. ;-))

There seems to be a transfer program for W7 that takes all the files and settings from your old PC (I don't run W7). It is mentioned in a few posts here.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Hi BobH,

You won't be able to transfer applications, they will have to be reinstalled on the Windows 7 machine. Check this link for information about the Windows Easy Transfer.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies. We've got it under control - I hope!