Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am running Win7 Home Premium 64bit OS, and I use Acronis for backing up my computer. My backups are stored on an external hard-drive. Since upgrading to Win7 I am having difficulty deleting my oldest Acronis backup from the external hard-drive. When I attempt to delete the oldest .tib file I get this notice:

"The action can't be completed because the folder is open in COM Surrogate."

How do I work around this problem in order that I can delete the file? I am not familiar with what COM Surrogate is, thus I do not know how I can close it in order to delete the large .tib backup file. Can someone please lend me a hand in solving this problem? Thanks in advance,

Ed Schwing

Thanks
    Hi ED and welcome

Acronis runs background serives that prevent it. One ways is to safe boot and delete it there. another way is just to go into services.msc and kill the acronis services

Ken.
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional-- Windows Expert Consumer 2009---2015
    MCC 2013-2015

Wanikiyi & Dyami--Team ZigZag3143

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Schwing View Post
    I am running Win7 Home Premium 64bit OS, and I use Acronis for backing up my computer. My backups are stored on an external hard-drive. Since upgrading to Win7 I am having difficulty deleting my oldest Acronis backup from the external hard-drive. When I attempt to delete the oldest .tib file I get this notice:

"The action can't be completed because the folder is open in COM Surrogate."

How do I work around this problem in order that I can delete the file? I am not familiar with what COM Surrogate is, thus I do not know how I can close it in order to delete the large .tib backup file. Can someone please lend me a hand in solving this problem? Thanks in advance,

Ed Schwing
    Ed,
    Hello, What version of Acronis are you using? Im pretty sure that in 2009 and 2010 you can only delete images from within Acronis itself .If you use explorer you confuse TI ,and probably get the error message. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Johnston View Post
    Hi ED and welcome

Acronis runs background serives that prevent it. One ways is to safe boot and delete it there. another way is just to go into services.msc and kill the acronis services

Ken.
    HUH? Ken, the problem is not with Acronis; but rather, as I understand it, with Windows7. In both Windows Vista, and Windows OS's before Vista, I never experienced this problem when deleting old Acronis backup files. It has something to do with Windows7. Please, if known, what is COM Surrogate, it has something to do with Windows, not Acronis.

Ed

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    HUH? Ken, the problem is not with Acronis; but rather, as I understand it, with Windows7. In both Windows Vista, and Windows OS's before Vista, I never experienced this problem when deleting old Acronis backup files. It has something to do with Windows7. Please, if known, what is COM Surrogate, it has something to do with Windows, not Acronis.
    If you are using a version of Acronis that is not compatible with Windows 7 then it is an Acronis problem. What version of Acronis are you running?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    If you are using a version of Acronis that is not compatible with Windows 7 then it is an Acronis problem. What version of Acronis are you running?

Joe
    Joe, I am using version 2010. When I upgraded to 2010 the information describing the upgrade indicated that it was compatible with Windows 7. I went into Acronis and saw where I could delete files or folders, and brought up the specific Acronis backup file that I was trying to delete in IE. I clicked to delete that specific file and the durn program not only deleted that file, but the other two previous files too! I again last night, made a new backup, and it worked perfectly. I am concerned though that when I next attempt to delete a single backup file, it may delete everything in the same folder. Sorry for being such a DUMMY! Your help would be appreciated,

Ed

Administrator
    Thanks
    Joe, I am using version 2010. When I upgraded to 2010 the information describing the upgrade indicated that it was compatible with Windows 7. I went into Acronis and saw where I could delete files or folders, and brought up the specific Acronis backup file that I was trying to delete in IE. I clicked to delete that specific file and the durn program not only deleted that file, but the other two previous files too! I again last night, made a new backup, and it worked perfectly. I am concerned though that when I next attempt to delete a single backup file, it may delete everything in the same folder. Sorry for being such a DUMMY! Your help would be appreciated,
    You are not being a dummy. When you don't understand questions are always good.

It has been a while since I used Acronis. Someone else who uses it may be able to jump in here and give you a better answer. Backups sets can involve more than one physical file. That depends on your Acronis settings for splitting files and your backup style (i.e always full, full & incremental, etc.). If you are using Acronis to delete a prior backup set it will delete all the files associated with a backup set.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    You are not being a dummy. When you don't understand questions are always good.

It has been a while since I used Acronis. Someone else who uses it may be able to jump in here and give you a better answer. Backups sets can involve more than one physical file. That depends on your Acronis settings for splitting files and your backup style (i.e always full, full & incremental, etc.). If you are using Acronis to delete a prior backup set it will delete all the files associated with a backup set.

Joe
    Each of my Acronis backups are full C drive backups, consisting of EVERYTHING, system, data etc., and result in a single Acronis ".tib" file. I never do incrementals, always a full C drive backup. To clarify my previous statement, I had three full C drive, .tib, files - one for Jan 3, one for Jan 20 and one for Jan 27. I attempted to delete the Jan 3 .tib file, and Acronis also deleted the other two .tib files, each of which were full C drive backups. I am going to do another backup today and then attempt to delete only the one I did last evening, just to see if it will delete both my new one done today and the one I did last evening. Basically, I think it may be time for me to leave Acronis, since a couple years ago I had problems with them on another upgrade, and it took forever to communicate the problem and ultimately to get it fixed. Does anyone have a suggestion of another software program that will compete with Acronis?

Ed

(Okay, I finally figured it out. As I stated above, I ran incremental backup to my full C drive created yesterday. I then opened up Acronis and opted the "Acronis Drive Cleaner", and there selected the new incremental backup I had just created, and selected that file for deletion - and it worked by only deleting the just created incremental file, and left the full C drive created yesterday on the disk. The action I took yesterday which deleted the entire folder, which included 3 files, and even though I had only selected one for deletion, was because I had used the "File Shredder" option. Lesson: If you want to only delete a single file in a folder, use the "Acronis Drive Cleanser" option. The "File Shredder" and "Acronis Drive Cleaner" options are found in Tools and Utilities section. I should mention that I am using Acronis True Image Home 2010.)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just tried it with TI 2009 v.9709 to see what happenes. But I used [Backup and Restore > Manage and Restore > Browse for Backup...], browsed to the location where I keep 3 full backups on my external HD, and selected the oldest one. I clicked the red "delete" icon on the toolbar, and that single file disappeared. The others were still there.

I have always deleted them with Explorer up until now, with no bad consequences. When I have restored with the CD or my flash drive (my preferred method) I can always locate the archive I need and restore it.

Maybe deleting with Explorer confuses it if you try to run a restore from inside Windows. I have never done it that way though. It just seems like a bad idea.

I really like Acronis TI 2009. It has saved my tail a couple of times.

Just my observations,
    Rusty

Administrator
    Thanks
    Glad you got it worked out. Your good explanation may help some other Lounger. Thanks for posting back.

Joe

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Basically, I think it may be time for me to leave Acronis, since a couple years ago I had problems with them on another upgrade, and it took forever to communicate the problem and ultimately to get it fixed. Does anyone have a suggestion of another software program that will compete with Acronis?
    If you are always doing full backups and want to save some money you might look at Macrium Reflect free version - works very well with win 7, runs 1 small service (850kb of memory- for mounting/browsing images) and is quite quick to back up -it will back up full system images from within Windows see: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp
    you can delete backups from Windows explorer and mount backups to browse with explorer to restore files - restoring a system image requires booting from cd.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Curle! I downloaded the free program and ran it. It worked as well, or better, than Acronis. Since I have had to use one of my Acronis backups in the past, and that worked perfectly, I pray that Macrium would do the same. Have you had any experience using one of your Macrium backups to get your system going again? I created me their booting cd just in case too. Again, I thank you.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curle View Post
    If you are always doing full backups and want to save some money you might look at Macrium Reflect free version - works very well with win 7, runs 1 small service (850kb of memory- for mounting/browsing images) and is quite quick to back up -it will back up full system images from within Windows see: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp
    you can delete backups from Windows explorer and mount backups to browse with explorer to restore files - restoring a system image requires booting from cd.

Thanks
    When you run Acronis, it runs in the background. This often makes Acronis archives show up to Explorer as "in use". Various components of Acronis use the Windows COM functions to keep track of where an archive is located, especially if it is still mounted. Closing the Acronis program window does not always unmount the archive. This can leave a COM operation running, hence the error message. In any event, when I want to delete an archive, I play it safe and do so from with True Image. This method allows the Actonis program to "forget" about the archive, and prevents the program from mistakenly trying to mount an archive which no longer exists during future backup or recovery runs.

True Image keeps track of Volumes and Archives using a separate drive mounter from Windows Explorer. These two systems can get badly out of synch with each other if you delete Acronis archives using Windows Explorer. On external drives, this can cause Acronis to "hang" when analyzing the drive. The only solution would be to uninstall and reinstall True Image. I have had this disaster happen in True Image version 11.

So play it safe and only delete Acronis archives from within the True Image Program. A "folder in use" error message is only the least of the problems which can result from using Windows Explorer to do the deletion. Especially if the Acronis Secure Zone has been activated on the target drive!

I have been using Acronis True Image since Version 7. I know what can happen.

BTW. the discussion of Macrium is off topic in this thread.
    -- Bob Primak --

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobprimak View Post
    true Image keeps track of Volumes and Archives using a separate drive mounter from Windows Explorer. These two systems can get badly out of synch with each other if you delete Acronis archives using Windows Explorer. On external drives, this can cause Acronis to "hang" when analyzing the drive. The only solution would be to uninstall and reinstall True Image. I have had this disaster happen in True Image version 11.

So play it safe and only delete Acronis archives from within the True Image Program. A "folder in use" error message is only the least of the problems which can result from using Windows Explorer to do the deletion. Especially if the Acronis Secure Zone has been activated on the target drive!

I have been using Acronis True Image since Version 7. I know what can happen.

BTW. the discussion of Macrium is off topic in this thread.
    That's good information that I didn't know. I have only been using TI 2009 for about a year and there is a lot to learn about it. All I use it for is to do a full "My Computer" backup to an external drive every 2 weeks. I delete the oldest one prior to starting the task. Though I do not have Secure Zone installed, I am going to un-install and re-install it immediately.

Thanks for the info,
    Rusty

Thanks
    I do not mean to state or imply that all people who have used Windows Explorer to delete backup archives should reinstall Acronis True Image. Only if you have deleted archives from the Acronis Secure Zone in this way. Or if you have set up the Acronis One-Click Backup option. Or if you did such a delete on an external drive which has an Extended FAT-32 File System, as Acronis can completely destroy the File System on these drives if it gets out of sync with Windows Explorer.

Only reinstall Acronis if your PC is experiencing symptoms, such as Acronis hanging badly when analyzing an external drive, or the Windows Right-Click Safely Remove Hardware option hangs or crashes with or without an error message. These signs are rare. Usually, all you need to do is open the Acronis program and Validate any archives which do still exist, and Delete from the available archives list, any archives which do not presently exist. Also, delete any scheduled or unscheduled tasks which point to nonexistent archives. This should be enough to prevent damage to Windows or the external drive. While reinstalling Acronis is the safest solution, it is not the most convenient.

Acronis is not the only backup and recovery program which behaves in the way I described. If a Backup Program can Explore within its own Archives, or if it can recover individual files and folders from within its Archives, that program is most likely also keeping track of its own "hidden storage volumes" separately from the Windows Volume Manager. This would make all such backup and recovery programs vulnerable to similar problems. So, nobody should recommend another brand of backup software on the basis of any alleged weakness or "bug" in Acronis.

I stand by Acronis True Image Home as the best backup and recovery solution for Full and Incremental or Differential Backups and recovery of Windows in the event of a disaster.
    -- Bob Primak --

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast