twr

Odd network activity (Office XP)

This is gonna drive me over the edge!
    Two, maybe related, issues:
    -for Word & Excel, ANY changes to the document or sheet and the program will sieze for about 30 seconds while doing heaven knows what across my network. If I unplug my network cable then everything is normal. This happens with any local document, new, saved or otherwise

-for Word, Excel, Outlook, if the curser even passes over the printer icon in the toolbar then the program will seize for almost a minute while looking across the network to communicate with my printer. Again, if the network cable is unplugged, no trouble. Yes, the printer is on a network, but shouldn't the communication be AFTER clicking on the icon, not just because the curser passed over it?

Fire wall is ZA Pro, and shows little or no activity during the time everything is locked.
    network is set to show the icon by the clock, and shows both in and out activity, despite what ZA reports
    Virus is Norton 2002, this activity has been the same both before and after 2002 was installed

again, no nic cable, no seize, and unplugging the cable will immediatly stop the trouble. None of the activity goes to the internet, only on my internal ip's.

Thank you for any thoughts, I'm out of em...
    Been an office user since 95, and not seen this before

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Odd network activity (Office XP)

If you're on Win98, run msconfig, otherwise you need to edit your registry. Bottom line? Get that thing out of the startup. I'm pretty sure it's CTFMON.

twr

Hmmmm, interesting thought. I'm not on 98, and disabled alt input from the original install as the laptop in question is not what I would consider powerful enough to handle voice. Nevertheless, CTFMON is here, and a search of the knowledge base looks like fun

http://support.microsoft.com/directory/art...B;EN-US;Q282599

I'll report back soon..... Thanks!!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just some backup info:

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.computing.net/windowsme/wwwboard/forum/11446.html>http://www.computing.net/windowsme/w...rum/11446.html</A>

twr

coupla days and a coupla reboots later, and all is still great! Thank you, you got it just right with CTFMON as the cause of my strange network activity.

I installed OXP with alt. input disabled, but still had to run the commands as per the KB article posted above and in the other forum post you put up
    regsvr32 /u msimtf.dll
    regsvr32 /u msctf.dll

Again, Many Many Many Thanks!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

So happy to help!!