Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows xp would allow you to install the operating system every 3 or 4 months (I forget which) Using the same Product Key. Does anyone know if Windows 7 allows for the installation of the operating system every 3 or 4 months as Xp does? Thanks in advance for your answers.

Thanks
    Hi HH and welcome

Absolutely. I wipe my drive every 3 months to do a clean install. The only time you may run into problems is if you change hardware in the interim. Even then all it would mean us a phone call to MS for a different Key.

Ken
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional-- Windows Expert Consumer 2009---2015
    MCC 2013-2015

Wanikiyi & Dyami--Team ZigZag3143

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    It's probably best to use the technique described in the Microsoft allows bypass of Vista activation article. What works for Vista also works for Win7. That way, you'll never have to activate the software (and so have to make a phone call to Microsoft.)
    Grüße

Lounger
    Thanks
    XP would allow you to install on a different machine using the same key, and you did not need to uninstall the first machine. Does Win 7 Allow for this as well?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by H. Harlan View Post
    XP would allow you to install on a different machine using the same key, and you did not need to uninstall the first machine. Does Win 7 Allow for this as well?
    There are different types of Windows licenses. An OEM license from one of the big vendors, including but not limited to Dell, HP, Acer, etc.), is tied to the machine on which it was originally purchased. You can't move it from to another machine.

There was a short lived Windows 7 Home Premium Family upgrade which allowed the purchaser to install on up to 3 different machines. That license is no longer available for new purchasers.

A retail license for Windows allows you to install on one machine at a time. You can move the installation to a new machine as long as the old installation is decommissioned.

NOTE: this is NOT a comprehensive list of license types.

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by H. Harlan View Post
    But were you ever able to activate the install on a different machine?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    I would suspect not. Generally, any version of windows would not allow activation on 2 seperate machines at the same time. This is equally true of Win 7. In fact the retail version of Win 7 (both upgrade and full install) include 2 seperate disks, one for 32 bit and one for 64 bit, but specifically states you can only install and activate one OR the other, not both, and that to change from one to the other you need to remove the original or clean install over the original.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Johnston View Post
    Hi HH and welcome

Absolutely. I wipe my drive every 3 months to do a clean install. The only time you may run into problems is if you change hardware in the interim. Even then all it would mean us a phone call to MS for a different Key.

Ken
    That begs the question, what items constitutes a hardware change? Can I change a motherboard, hard drive(s), processor change? USB flash boot drive? How about a graphics card, or audio card? Replace or upgrade the BIOS? This is only a theoretical question, but what part of the motherboard is "registered" or identified and what if one were to change or repair it? Is there a list of hardware items I can change without having to re-activate or register?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by norm201 View Post
    That begs the question, what items constitutes a hardware change? Can I change a motherboard, hard drive(s), processor change? USB flash boot drive? How about a graphics card, or audio card? Replace or upgrade the BIOS? This is only a theoretical question, but what part of the motherboard is "registered" or identified and what if one were to change or repair it? Is there a list of hardware items I can change without having to re-activate or register?
    This link from the MS website explains the reactivation with new hardware. A screen shot of some of the pertinent info follows:

[attachment=87998:2010-02-02_0838.png]

I hope this helps with the explanation. Since Win 7 is very similar to Vista I would suspect similar explanations do apply.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I'm sorry, but I just don't get it...

I haven't done a reformat/reinstall since Windows 95 OSR2. I have done in place upgrades. With Windows 7, (I skipped Vista) I installed to a separate partition for dual boot with XP.

All the gloom and doom about Windows needing a "fresh" install every (pick your interval of choice) is not only totally unfounded, it is absurd. Windows can be kept lean, clean, crisp and responsive with a few simple routine maintenance procedures that take far less aggregate time than a reformat/reinstall every (pick your favorite interval).

And yes, I do try out new software, and I do uninstall software that I no longer need or use. I use Revo Uninstaller, but other than that I don't use any "registry cleaner" at any time for any reason. I'm quite comfortable editing the registry using regedit. I have done an occaissional repair/reinstall when some poorly written installation routine has gummed up the works, but that's it.

Think for just a minute about corporations that have hundreds to thousands of PC's running Windows. Do you seriously think that there are IT guys frantically running around keeping up with the "fresh install" schedule? And how many of said corporations do you really believe casually allow/instruct their individual users to follow some such schedule?

I use drive images for backup, creating those images at times when the PC is not in active use by anyone, so backing up is relatively unintrusive. I have routine AV and malware scans run overnight.

For hardware upgrades, I uninstall the old in Device Manager, shut down, physically install the new, then boot up and let Windows New Hardware Wizard either install drivers or ask me for them. I activated XP when I did an inplace upgrade over Windows 2K Pro and have since changed motherboard, CPU, hard drives and graphics cards (not all at once, except for MB and CPU) without having to reactivate. For a hard drive upgrade, I just restore my last drive image and reboot.

I have a Dell D800 in which I have replaced (not all at once, mind you) the graphics card, the CPU, the motherboard and upgraded the hard drive, not once having to reactivate XP. I'm now dual booting Windows 7 on it, also. And I use drive images for backup on the laptop, too. The hard drive upgrade amounted to uninstalling the old drive in Device Manager, removing it, installing the new drive and restoring the drive images. WGA noticed the new drive, created a new hash, then went back to sleep.

I have also upgraded memory a number of times without a hiccup.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    Absolutey on WinXP I could use same key on different machine every 4 months and they would all activate. If I used the product key too early like 2 months then it would not let me activate without a call to M$.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    So you are saying that you have the same key code used on several machines at the same time?

Is this a retail or a OEM copy of the OS?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    As a matter of curiosity, how long does it TAKE you to perform a clean install? I'm sure it would take me days and days of hard labour.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As a matter of curiosity, how long does it TAKE you to perform a clean install?
    As one lives, one learns (hopefully). After the first clean install, driver and application restoration, take an image snapshot (repeated if major changes are made without system degradation) and the next time its only a matter of the time it takes to restore the image.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron Tarbox View Post
    As one lives, one learns (hopefully). After the first clean install, driver and application restoration, take an image snapshot (repeated if major changes are made without system degradation) and the next time its only a matter of the time it takes to restore the image.
    That isn't a "clean install". That is an image restoration.

A much more satisfying and beneficial exercise is in learning how to eliminate system degradation. But I still make drive image backups, because hardware failure is a matter of when, not if.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast