Thread: Disk Management

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been using the Disk Management system in Windows 7 to partition my only hard drive. I created a new partition and at a later date wanted to shrink the new volume. I have now created free space in that volume. Is it possible to add this free space to the unlocated portion of the disk in order to create future volumes?

Thanks
    Sam Hi and welcome

Yep you can use it to shrink and merge. The only thing you cant do is merge to the left. If we had a screenshot I could tell you for sure. If for some reason you cant, there are 3rd party apps like paragon disk suite that can do it easily. It has a free trial a s well

Good luck

Ken
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional-- Windows Expert Consumer 2009---2015
    MCC 2013-2015

Wanikiyi & Dyami--Team ZigZag3143

Thanks
    I've used Partition Wizard with great success, and it is FREE!!!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Disk Management in Windows 7 is an improvement on the XP version but it's still quite simple. It cannot get rid of that 100 MB or so
    partition that 7 creates. (left of primary/active) I've used Partition Wizard as well with very good results.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Disk Management in Windows 7 is an improvement on the XP version but it's still quite simple. It cannot get rid of that 100 MB or so
    partition that 7 creates. (left of primary/active) I've used Partition Wizard as well with very good results.
    I installed Windows 7 on a second hard drive in my desktop to dual boot with XP. There is no 100MB partition there. I also installed Windows 7 on a separate partition on my laptop to dual boot with XP, and there is no 100MB partition there, either.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    I installed Windows 7 on a second hard drive in my desktop to dual boot with XP. There is no 100MB partition there. I also installed Windows 7 on a separate partition on my laptop to dual boot with XP, and there is no 100MB partition there, either.
    This thread Solved What's on that 100MB partition? Can I delete it? - Windows 7 Forums explains what it is.

Joe
    Joe