2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Reading other databases

Is there a way to drill into a DOS database data file (for which I can get the data dictionary from the manufacturer) and import the data to a table that I can use in Access. A colleague of our company did this using Crystal Reports but I would rather be able to do this Access and write reports from there. Also we are looking to be able to transfer the inventory to Palm Pilots to be carried by our sales people. Any ideas as to where to start??

Thanks

shihalud

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Reading other databases

It depends on what you mean. If you have a flat DOS text file and the specs for it, you can do one of two things: create a schema.ini file for the file, which tells Access how to handle the text, or use the import wizard in Access to import the data and specify the structure based on your data dictionary. How big is the file, that is, how many fields are you dealing with?
    Charlotte

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

thanks for responding charlotte!!

first item: I am not familiar with 'schema.ini' and can't find a reference to this other than a definition, no instruction on creation and use. help?

second item: I am not sure what you mean by "flat text file" but all of the files are .DAT files. the only way that I can get a text file is by printing reports within the DOS program to a text file. and those present limitations inherent in the program, thus the desire to use Access.

third item: the data files vary in size from 50K to 30Mb.

any direction that you can recommend would be appreciated.

thanks again
    shihalud

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

1. What program were the .dat files created in.
    2. Could you attach the data dictionary for one of the files on the forum so we can look at it.
    3. Could you cut out a few lines of a data file and attach this. If they are Dos text files you may be able to open them in wordpad so you can cut out a bit.

They may be space delimited or comma delimited files in which case you can open them directly in access or excel. Otherwise you may need to do some manipulation to get them into a useable form.

Or - - does the program in which they were created have an export facility?
    David Grugeon
    Brisbane Australia

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Schema.ini files are text files that contain information about the contents of a text file. They follow a typical INI file format, with a section header that holds the name of the file, file property settings, and information about the columns. However, a DAT file is not a plain text file. Are these, by any chance, old BTrieve databases? No version of Access after 2.0 came with a driver for Btrieve, although according to the Microsoft knowlegebase, Pervasive Software Inc does have a 32-bit driver that should work with Access 97 or 2000.
    Charlotte

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

01-25-00

Thanks for responding. I am trying to find answers for the questions that you have asked, but have have had only minimal luck at this point.
    1. The DOS program is RFMS Floor managment system. The company is Resource and Financial Management Systems.

2. I will attach one of the DDF's to this response.

3. The files are not text files but .dat files, but I will send you a bit of them under another response.

Reports can be printed to a text file but there are very limited. Ansd there is no export facility.

Any ideas on what direction to take?

shihalud
    Attached Files Attached Files

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

01-25-01 - They are old BTrieve databases, and I will visit the Pervasive site and download the drivers. Is there a book describing how to create, use, and program schema.ini files?

shihalud

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Do a search on Schema.ini in the MS knowledgebase, but it won't help you in this situation because DAT files are not text files in the purest sense.
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

<<They are old BTrieve databases>>

What I've done in the past is to simply import them into Word as a "text" file, save it, then import the text file directly into Access. Worked very well at the time.

Regards, Al.