New Lounger
    Thanks
    I want to use an Outline Numbered list, but I want the Level 1 numbering to be the months of the year, instead of having to turn the bulleting off and on again, like so:

January:
    I.
    II.
    III.
    February:
    I.
    II.
    III.

I see a couple of textual numbered lists that are already built into the system ("One, Two, Three" and "First, Second Third") but I don't see months of the year.

Is there a way to get the outline numbering to pull from a custom list, in this case the names of the months?

I originally posted my question here:
    https://www.microsoft.com/office/com...6-bb40d00e0eb1

And the one response I received directed me to Macropod's "Date Calc 'tutorial'."

The tutorial didn't help, so I'm just re-posting here.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    As far as I as know, there's no way to add your own custom list, such as for months, to the lists available in the dropdown for outline numbering.

Maybe only partially helpful, but you could set up your outline so that the first level produces just the placeholder text "[Month]" (which you would have to manually replace with the actual month name when you apply the outline numbered style), and have the second level of the outline produce the "I., II." etc. At least that way, you would get the second level to automatically restart after each paragraph with a month name.

Gary

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Frieder View Post
    As far as I as know, there's no way to add your own custom list, such as for months, to the lists available in the dropdown for outline numbering.

Maybe only partially helpful, but you could set up your outline so that the first level produces just the placeholder text "[Month]" (which you would have to manually replace with the actual month name when you apply the outline numbered style), and have the second level of the outline produce the "I., II." etc. At least that way, you would get the second level to automatically restart after each paragraph with a month name.

Gary
    That stinks.

I would even settle for a way to hack-into the code for Office itself; I'll never use the "First, Second, Third" pattern anyway, so I'd be OK with changing that if it were possible.

I was even imagining larger applications - like being able to create a list of Department names for a meeting Agenda.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It would definitely be great if there was a way to add your own custom lists in Word (like you can in Excel). There are a lot of folks on this forum (myself included) who really enjoy hacking into code for Office itself, so if there were a code hack available for this, someone would likely have posted it. Hopefully someone else will still come up with a creative suggestion for how you can do this.

Gary

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not much of a hacker, but I'd be willing to follow a path if someone else had found one.

I guess my best hope is that Bill Gates has some spies monitoring this board who will give him the suggestion for Office 2013.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael McLaughlin View Post
    I guess my best hope is that Bill Gates has some spies monitoring this board who will give him the suggestion for Office 2013.
    Might be a long time to wait, but you can send a suggestion to Microsoft here.

Gary