Star Lounger
    Rickmansworth, Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
    Thanks
    Outlook 2007 won't open because it can't find archive.pst. It thinks it's on drive J whereas it's actually on drive C. As it won't open I can't get at data file management to correct things. Any ideas?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    Perhaps you can copy the PST file to where Outlook thinks it should be? Will it open if you let it create a new PST?
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd thought of that but drive J is actually one of 7 USB ports on my system. I've got archive.pst on a flash drive so I guess it's just a question of poking it into each port until that labelled J is found, Incidentally is there a way to re-label the USB ports? Disk mangement programs allow the re-labelling of hard drives and partitions but don't detect USB ports.
    And how do you allow Outlook to create a new pst before it opens?
    I also tried uninstalling Outlook and re-installing in the hope that it would create new pst files but it reported the same 'can't find J:\archive.pst'. This suggest to me that Outlook doesn't un-install completely leaving some nasty mess in the Registry perhaps?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    If you have Outlook pinned to your start menu, can't you right click on the Outlook icon and select Properties. As long as it is one of the "special" icons you should get the email managment (i.e., accounts, data files, & profiles) applet.

Joe

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Problem solved. Acronis disk management program sees all the hard drives and partitions but not USB ports. I then found that Vista's own Disk Management tool sees both hard drives and USB ports. So, a little shuffling of the drive labels allowed me to assign 'J' to a scarcely used hard drive partition after which I copied achive.pst from the flash drive to the J partition. Outlook then opened and I'm back in business.
    All this came about because I run a 2-disk system with Vista as drive C on disk 1 and XP on disk 2 as drive D, both disks being partitioned C/E and now D/J respectively. I run Outlook on both systems and so it's essential to have the two versions singing from the same hymn sheet. This means that both versions must use the same outlook.pst and archive.pst files if the two versions are to kept in synch, which they now are after pointing the two Outlooks at the same pair of pst files.