New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've read conflicting answers so I hope I'm in the right place to get a definitive answer.

I have a machine currently running XP Pro. I have purchased Win 7 Pro Upgrade, and I'd like to install it so as to dual boot with XP. Is this possible, such that the data in the XP portion will stay intact and XP will run properly when that boot option is chosen ?

Alternatively, is there a practical way to add a 2nd hard drive, have both Windows treat it simply as another partition, and install Win 7 on it so as to dual boot with the current Win XP OS ?

Good advices will be appreciated ... Thanks !

Richard in KC

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It is very simple in that all you have to do is choose a partition to install 7 to and as long as XP is present and not the chosen partition for 7, the 7 install will set up a dual boot system by default.

Edit: Also, you need to choose the Custom install option to get to the partition selection options initially I think.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the quick response, Byron. Now, how about the alternative ... ??

Richard in KC

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron Tarbox View Post
    It is very simple in that all you have to do is choose a partition to install 7 to and as long as XP is present and not the chosen partition for 7, the 7 install will set up a dual boot system by default.
    Will this method also allow me to install Win7 onto a drive 2 if the drive 1 contains the current Vista operating system? My concern is that the Win 7 Pro upgrade will detect the presence of Vista and decide to zap it. (I do have a legal uninstalled complete XP so my approach is legitimate.)

Thanks
    Hi Stephen & Richard,

Since Vista is already on the computer, the Win7 Pro installation routine will recognize its presence and install a dual boot setup. Just make sure Win7 is directed to the correct partition or hard drive.

Adding a second hard drive to install Win7 in a dual boot configuration should work just fine. I have not done so, but everything I have researched indicates it works well. My dual boot uses a single hard drive with the original XP install on one partition and a Win7 Pro install on a new partition.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    You will be able to instal and dual boot with 7, as long as XP has been installed first, same should work with Vista. Older os first.
    ...Also, according to MS EULA, if you purchased the upgrade version of 7 you have to dump XP. I don't know if that translates into reality
    or not, but it's something to consider.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.