5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, I have a ITB Hitachi hard drive that is reporting itself as only 31.38mb in size. I'm not sure why this happened but may have been caused by removing the drive from an e-sata like external hard drive while the computer was switched on. Is this drive totally dead or is there any way to get it working again. If it helps I have Acronis Disk Director 10. Disk Director tells me that the drive is unformatted but is 31.38 mb in size which is a little too small to be useful!

Thanks,

Chris (Hunt)

Thanks
    Check it for errors??
    What have you done so far to troubleshoot?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply, I've looked at it with Acronis Disk Director and XP Computer management. Both reported it as unformatted and around 31mb in size. I couldn't find any options for error checking.

Chris

Thanks
    Unplug and turn off drive. Boot computer and re atempt to connect/read after boot. Try with usb/firewire if able.
    Try to format drive
    Try to have check disk run upon boot to connected drive.
    Try to have Acronis Disk Director boot to drive and format with ntfs.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, I've tried the hard drive on both an external usb drive and e-sata drive. I partitioned it and ran chkdsk - no errors were reported. I tried formatting it as fat32 and then reformatting as ntfs using Acronis Disk Director. Nothing I've tried gets windows to see the drive as more than 32mb

Chris

Thanks
    Hi Cah,

I gather you are using XP. If you are, try using the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows. It can be downloaded here . The site gives you all instructions for making your boot cd.

I have used the UBCD4Win to resolve a few problems but have not encountered this issue before. But some folks whose 1 TB drive only reports a total of 32 MB space have successfully used the MHDD32 tool from the ultimate boot cd (disk tools > diagnostics). Run the tool and after scanning, select the disk and type the "uncut" command. Hopefully this tool is still offered in the UBCD4Win. If not there are other formatting tools that may do the trick.

Post back to let us know what happens.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Lounger
    Thanks
    This link has all the Hitachi drive diagnostics and also a "write to zeroes" utility. There should be a tool which will examine your drive, report on it, etc. too.

It sounds to me as if it may have been forced into a "capacity = 32GB" mode. This can be done via jumper on some drives - have you changed a jumper around? One of the Hitachi tools appears to be able to set drive capacity limits for certain drives too.

click here

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DieSse View Post
    This link has all the Hitachi drive diagnostics and also a "write to zeroes" utility. There should be a tool which will examine your drive, report on it, etc. too.

It sounds to me as if it may have been forced into a "capacity = 32GB" mode. This can be done via jumper on some drives - have you changed a jumper around? One of the Hitachi tools appears to be able to set drive capacity limits for certain drives too.

click here
    Thanks for the link, I downloaded one tool that seemed appropriate but it didn't work, failing to launch after installation. I think you are right about the forced capacity. A power cable was changed and thing went wrong after that.

Chris

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    I have used the UBCD4Win to resolve a few problems but have not encountered this issue before. But some folks whose 1 TB drive only reports a total of 32 MB space have successfully used the MHDD32 tool from the ultimate boot cd (disk tools > diagnostics). Run the tool and after scanning, select the disk and type the "uncut" command. Hopefully this tool is still offered in the UBCD4Win. If not there are other formatting tools that may do the trick.

Post back to let us know what happens.
    Thanks, I downloaded UBCD4 but it hung while trying to verify itself while installing. Do you you know of any way to get the MHDD32 tool as a stand alone? I did an online search but didn't find any link I would trust.

Chris