Thanks

.doc files always uploaded even when not changed (2000 / SR1)

Hi,

I'm running FP 2000 out of the Office 2000 Premium package. My web host is running linux with FP Extensions.

When I publish to my web (publish changes only), any Word (.doc or .dot) files are uploaded even though they haven't changed. The .htm, .html, and even .zip files are only uploaded if changed.

My web host support has been not very useful (I think figuring that if I'm dumb enough to use FP that it is my problem). Any ideas?
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks

Re: .doc files always uploaded even when not changed (2000 / SR1)

Interesting, I've not observed that before (but all that means is that I wasn't looking for that happening).
    Have you tried going to the Workgroup Properties for the file and excluding publishing that way?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Thanks

Hi Catherine,

It only happens with this one web host (of the three I've worked with). I'm much more happy with them on a few other issues, though, so I will put up with this. I had worked around it by moving the .doc files into a subweb but didn't like that because of the possibility of breaking external links into the files. Your solution works much better. I will just have to remember to change that property when I change the file.

Thanks for the help.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks

One other thing you might try pursuing.
    Every directory in your web has a matching _vti_cnf directory. The _vti_cnf directory can't be seen within FP, you'd need to use Windows Explorer. Inside the _vti_cnf directory, there is (or should be) a matching file for every type of file in the directory. These files contain information about the document they reference in the website including the date saved information. I believe that the server extensions in FP compare these files during publishing. Now, if these files were not being updated on the Linux server (due to permissions issues possibly?) that could be one reason why FP was forcing word docs to repeatedly republish each time.
    It is a good theory and I'm fond of it. However, you'd need to work with your ISP to find out if it is correct.

The _vti_cnf folder is also discussed in this thread.

Tell me what you find out.

Cheers
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Charles
    It sounds to me as though your ISP, in setting up FP server-side extensions, has not done it properly. If you can do the things you want with ISPs that run Windows servers, the problem is clearly not yours.

Rgds