New Lounger
    Thanks
    Using Windows XP with OE. Last week OE died completely and I found a source that advised renaming the "Folders.dbx" to "Folders.old.dbx" ; which I did. That recovered the OE, but no special folders in which I had things stored. I know they must be hiding in here someplace, but, don't know how to retrieve them. Any suggestions? (I am not terribly saavy with these monsters---if you can help, make sure your answer is "dummy proof") Thank you.

Since the post I have looked at a couple of tools that claim to be able to recover the lost data. Can anyone comment on "PC Tools Recover Files" or "Disk Doctor Email Recovery"? Both look like a little overkill, but if they work????? Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I haven't tried it myself, but this tool looks like it could help you out.
    Cheers,
    Peter

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kibtzz View Post
    Using Windows XP with OE. Last week OE died completely and I found a source that advised renaming the "Folders.dbx" to "Folders.old.dbx" ; which I did. That recovered the OE, but no special folders in which I had things stored. I know they must be hiding in here someplace, but, don't know how to retrieve them.
    Unfortunately, you've run into one of OE's biggest problems - database corruption. Once you recover your data, you should strongly consider migrating to Mail - Windows Live. It is the follow on product for OE.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Peter, thanks for the lead. Now I need help in deciding which program will do the job? Has anybody had any experience with one of these three? Mail Navigator---PC Tools Recover Files---Disk Doctor Email Recovery.

I hate to spend the money and then find out they won't do what I had hoped for.

And thank you, Joe, as well. Something to consider after this issue is resolved.