deekay

remove programs at bootup

How do I remove deleted programs from bootup. Screen tells me there are too many parameters....

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: remove programs at bootup

Are these programs that have been deleted or uninstalled???? The easiest way is to use Windows Explorer and in the left window, navigate to c:WindowsStart Menu then Programs. Somewhere in that group of folders will be the ones that you wnat to delete. These are just shortcuts so are quite safe to delete. The reason for my first question is the safe way to get rid of programs in Win9x is to use the uninstall process rather than just deleting. Although it is not infallible it is safer.

deekay

Thanks, I tried that but there are no files to be found in that area, nor in the find file. I know the virus program was unistalled and it is still in bootup, not sure about the other one..thanks anyway.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Some of the virus programs make entries to the Autoexec.bat, Config.sys and Windows.ini files. They also may and can make entries to the registry.

What programs are you trying to remove?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

deekay

Panda platinum antivirus, and Smartbooks. Don't remember how I removed Smartbooks but used Panda uninstall. These both are there and my new antivirus- AVG6 which I want there. it then shows there are too many parameters. So thought the first two should be removed. thanks

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I would use Explorer to search for any files remaining that relate to these programs and regedit to see if they have left any entries in the registry. Whose software are they? If you have no other software from these sources, then deleting any registry keys relating to them should cause no problems.

If the idea of playing in the registry scares you silly (and if you don't know what you're doing, it should!), then some sort of Utility software would be a good idea. There are plenty of programs that will tidy up your registry, etc. for you.
    We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.