3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Realizing that the particulars of this might vary from WinXP to Vista to Win7, I need to know if it is possible to set a schedule in System Tools for connecting and disconnecting from one's ISP. I realize that I can manually connect or disconnect using CP/Network_Connections; however, doing so requires that I select among options at several different stages. I don't know whether these processes (connecting and disconnection) can be scheduled as tasks and, if so, how to do it.

I want to be able to leave my computer on overnight so that scheduled maintenance will take place (AV scans, defragging, etc.) but I want to shut down my ISP connections (partly out of paranoia and partly reasoned anti-malware motivation).

Can anyone help me with this?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Is this broadband or dialup?

Do you have a router?

What firewall?

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Broadband with router with firewall with additional firewall software on PC.

I realize that the concern about penetration is paranoia, but I would still like to know if it's possible to automate and schedule the connection/disconnection from my ISP.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BobH View Post
    Broadband with router with firewall with additional firewall software on PC.

I realize that the concern about penetration is paranoia, but I would still like to know if it's possible to automate and schedule the connection/disconnection from my ISP.
    You can set most routers to control internet access by time of day.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try this. Open a PowerShell command window and enter:

get-wmiobject win32_networkadaptor

Note the DeviceId value for your NIC (look for the entry whose Name is the same and what appears in the Network Connections control panel). For mine, the device id is 11.

Then this powershell command can disable my network card (change the device id value to match yours):

Get-WmiObject Win32_NetworkAdapter | where-object {$_.DeviceID -eq "11"} | foreach {$_.disable()}

Change the prior line to call enable() at the end, rather than disable() to to start the card back up.

Place the command into a powershell script (a file ending with *.ps1) and use the task scheduler to run the scripts when you want.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Peter!

I'll give that a try, but I'm gonna wait until I'm not as tired and sleepy.