Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    How do I remove pre-installed software from my Compaq desktop. Such things as an ebay desktop link and Snapfish. If I delete the software, the registry gets messed up. Need help removing the registry entries. No listing in remove programs box. HP is no help, they say to go to 'remove programs". Had to do system recovery for other reasons, so have second chance to do removals the correct way

Thanks
    Use Revo Uninstaller. It is excellent, probably the highest rated uninstaller. It first removes the S/W using it's own uninstaller, then searches for leftover junk. Use advanced when you see it. Delete everything. Do not restart if the app wants to untill Revo finishes.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I learned about PC Decrapifier on the Kim Komando show. Here is her summary; "There’s nothing quite like unboxing a new computer. Oh, the anticipation of a speedy processor, fresh Windows installation and a roomy hard drive!

But, last time I got a new computer, there were more than a dozen shortcuts on the desktop. They were all for unwanted trial programs and services.

There was so much to do to get the computer ready for use. I had to install my software and move my data. Then I had to set up security options.

I didn’t have time to remove all the junk installed by the manufacturer. So what did I do? I used PC Decrapifier.

This free program removes many common trial programs and offers. You’ll be amazed at the list of the stuff it removes! It got rid of the junk quickly and easily.

PC Decrapifier won’t take care of everything, but it is a great place to start. The newest version was just released this month. It is now a faster and more stable application than the previous version."

Cost: Free

PC Decrapifier v2.1.0

I have used it on each of my new machines both desktop and laptop and before installing anything else, I run this.
    Take a sad song and make it better

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hey Jude View Post
    PC Decrapifier v2.1.0

I have used it on each of my new machines both desktop and laptop and before installing anything else, I run this.
    I downloaded and ran this. I guess I did a reasonable job on my own because it did not find anything to remove. Does look as though it would be very helpful in removing junkware that is hoisted upon us by manufacturers.. For those of us who Updated using Clean Install from an earlier version of windows, and did not choose to install the manufacturer specific S/W, our systems start out clean.

Basically, which ever method or a different method you choose, most of this junk can be easily and safely removed from a new PC. And this may very well speed up your PC because much of this junk is running in the background.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    PC Decrapifier is specifically for out-of-the-box computers, but can also be used to show you what junk could still remain after using other programs, i.e. Revouninstaller--of which I am avid user. I bought a new Toshiba Satellite with Vista Premium and used it to clean out the crappola. When I did the clean install of Win 7 Pro it was, as you say, "already clean." It's just another tool that's available for those novice users who would tend to shy away from the registry aspects of Revo. I was sold on it when KK "The Digital Goddess" extolled its virtues.

Hey Jude

New Lounger
    Thanks
    De-crapifier didn't find Snapfish. Is it known by another name in Add/Remove programs? Looks like free Revo may not get rid of registry stuff. Will try in a few days. Have a glitchy power supply that I replaced in the meantime that corrupted Vista and required a Recovery from partitition(another pain with pre-installed software-no repair option). Thanks for all your help.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fetz View Post
    How do I remove pre-installed software from my Compaq desktop. Such things as an ebay desktop link and Snapfish. If I delete the software, the registry gets messed up. Need help removing the registry entries. No listing in remove programs box. HP is no help, they say to go to 'remove programs". Had to do system recovery for other reasons, so have second chance to do removals the correct way
    Fetz,
    Hello. I also have had these problems in the past. (ridding yourself of PC bloatware) This method that i have developed to remove anything on my PC. First you need some basic "tools"
    1. A working backup software ,I use Acronis 2010
    2. Cedrick Collomb's "Unlocker" (free) WinBubble also Free
    3. jv16 Power tools (registry tool)
    4. bottle of antacid (optional)
    5. don't let anyone tell you that you "cant remove that because, blah, blah,blah" Because you can remove ANYTHING on your PC ....if you want to. I HAVE and continue to do so.
    Enough of my rant ...here goes the how to part.
    1. select the offending software to be deleted ex. snap fish, windows mail, IE , etc.
    2. on my now original Vista home premium ( no updates or patches save one) i select search function (Magnifying glass icon) or if you no longer have that use the windows logo key and "F" key this will bring up the "Search" (i like this... using windows to defeat windows)
    3. select "advanced" tab , indexed locations, then use the drop down to select "C" drive.
    4.type in the offending name... lets say "Windows Mail" for example.... hit "GO"
    5. this will bring up all the all the places that "Windows Mail" exists ( not registry entries )
    6.you will see things like folders, X86 files, config files , manifests, etc.
    7. rightclick on one at a time and select open folder location , right click again choose "take ownership" then you most times click "delete" .
    8. if the file / folder wont go use "unlocker " to finish the job . continue untill there all gone.
    9. Now when that is finished run jv16 (standard mode) and you will now see all the orphaned registry entries ( in windows mail example there be hundreds)
    10. Select "FIX " and then "Backup" then "GO"... sometimes they wont delete and you will then have to "take ownership " of the offending key. If your not sure how to do that post back and ill give you my "sure fire" way on how to .
    Make certain that you do a "backup" before messing with any system stuff ,as you will surely make a few mistakes along the way ... good luck and remember that its YOUR PC and you can have on it what you want...regardless of what anyone says Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Fred, Will try that. Your procedure is well explained. Need to get imaging/backup software. As I learned the hard way, the residue left behind in the Registry can drastically slow down boot times,etc. Dealing with double whammy snowstorm here near Pittsburgh, but luckily have electrical power. Thanks again, Fetz

Thanks
    De-crapifier didn't find Snapfish. Is it known by another name in Add/Remove programs? Looks like free Revo may not get rid of registry stuff. Will try in a few days. Have a glitchy power supply that I replaced in the meantime that corrupted Vista and required a Recovery from partitition(another pain with pre-installed software-no repair option). Thanks for all your help.
    Is the Snapfish you are referencing an online photo printing program? That may be why you don't find it in your Add/Remove programs.

Hey Jude

Administrator
    Thanks
    As I learned the hard way, the residue left behind in the Registry can drastically slow down boot times,etc.
    While there MAY be a slight increase in boot times, it is highly unlikely that there is a drastic slow down. That is just not the way the registry is processed anymore. If you have seen an increase in boot time you should be using a tool such as Autoruns for Windows to find out what is being started when you boot the system.

Backup software of some kind is a very good idea. However, I recommend you use the uninstall methods provided by the software suppliers first. In modern software there is so much shared that you can easily delete something still needed by another application. You may not even notice it for a while if the other application is not used frequently. Keeping track of everything you've done manually then deciding when you can discard the various backup files is IMO a waster of time and effort.

The only time I would even consider using a registry cleaning tool is if I had an unstable system after uninstalling software.

Joe

Thanks
    Revo Uninstaller uses the application's own uninstall as JoeP states to do, then DOES look for all orphaned entries and elliminates them. I have never had ANY problems deleting all entries Revo stated were safe to delete. It appears the big question is that Snapfish is not listed by this name. You will have to figure out what it is listed as to elliminate that app. Unlike JoeP, I have also had great succes with CCleaner to help ferret out those pesky orphaned entries. Again, by checking diligently I have never had a problem elliminating something I needed. I suppose that is possible, but in my experience on several different PC's I have had NO problems with this app.

BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    While there MAY be a slight increase in boot times, it is highly unlikely that there is a drastic slow down. That is just not the way the registry is processed anymore. If you have seen an increase in boot time you should be using a tool such as Autoruns for Windows to find out what is being started when you boot the system.

Backup software of some kind is a very good idea. However, I recommend you use the uninstall methods provided by the software suppliers first. In modern software there is so much shared that you can easily delete something still needed by another application. You may not even notice it for a while if the other application is not used frequently. Keeping track of everything you've done manually then deciding when you can discard the various backup files is IMO a waster of time and effort.

The only time I would even consider using a registry cleaning tool is if I had an unstable system after uninstalling software.

Joe
    Joe,
    Not wanting to "Hi-Jack" this thread but would like to add to what i related to Fetz . As pointed out by Ted, Bloatware does not show up in the usual "installed" places it seems to always hidden in some "HP" type folders/ files and the only way to get rid of them (completely) is by the procedure that i have described to Fetz . If on the other hand that you want to get rid of my example "Windows Mail"( no un-installer) Its the only way to see what is contained in some of the "hidden folders" so you don't delete a link to something else that you might want to keep. For example: When i removed IE (Internet Explorer) from my PC using my procedure i was able to see that there were some folders that had links to the "Quick Launch" on the desk top and removing them (as a experiment) removed the Quick launch bar. As far as not using jv16 (registry tool) its true if you don't remove any thing you don't need one.However in my removing "Windows Mail" example and looking at my notes there were (running jv16) 543 registry errors 212 Keys/ 331 entries. That's just for one program! I guess that's fine for some but not for me.As far as "revo" it does work well but not for all as i explained Regards Fred
    PS Fetz.... happy "hacking"( i love it)
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Revo Uninstaller uses the application's own uninstall as JoeP states to do, then DOES look for all orphaned entries and elliminates them. I have never had ANY problems deleting all entries Revo stated were safe to delete. It appears the big question is that Snapfish is not listed by this name. You will have to figure out what it is listed as to elliminate that app. Unlike JoeP, I have also had great succes with CCleaner to help ferret out those pesky orphaned entries. Again, by checking diligently I have never had a problem elliminating something I needed. I suppose that is possible, but in my experience on several different PC's I have had NO problems with this app.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm relatively new at using REVO and CCLEANER and have some questions. I've recently used REVO to uninstall McAfee AV, and it seemed to work okay, but CCLEANER then found 39 bits -- most of them McAfee -- in the registry that needed removing. Since CCLEANER has it's own uninstaller, why not simply use it ==instead== of REVO?

Also: I don't know if this is a flaw in REVO, but when you click on the Hunter Mode Icon, it takes you off the REVO page and you end up on the desktop along with the Hunter Mode Icon. Did my download of REVO scew up somehow or is that the way it's supposed to work?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobthebear View Post
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm relatively new at using REVO and CCLEANER and have some questions. I've recently used REVO to uninstall McAfee AV, and it seemed to work okay, but CCLEANER then found 39 bits -- most of them McAfee -- in the registry that needed removing. Since CCLEANER has it's own uninstaller, why not simply use it ==instead== of REVO?

Also: I don't know if this is a flaw in REVO, but when you click on the Hunter Mode Icon, it takes you off the REVO page and you end up on the desktop along with the Hunter Mode Icon. Did my download of REVO scew up somehow or is that the way it's supposed to work?
    Did the McAfee uninstall ask for a restart? If so did you hold off on the restart untill after you had finished the Revo uninstall? You do not need to use Hunter mode. I select advanced mode and delete everything Revo finds. No sweat. Yes CCleaner may find other entries. That's why I use both. I have not used the CCleaner uninstaller so do not know how to use it.

Many uninstalls request you to restart to finish the uninstall. If you restart before going into the extra stuff from Revo, it aborts Revo's uninstall and all the entries Revo would have found will not get done. In this case simply wait on the restart until Revo has a chance to find and elliminate the orphaned entries. Once Revo states it has completed then do the restart.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    As pointed out by Ted, Bloatware does not show up in the usual "installed" places it seems to always hidden in some "HP" type folders/ files and the only way to get rid of them (completely) is by the procedure that i have described to Fetz . If on the other hand that you want to get rid of my example "Windows Mail"( no un-installer) Its the only way to see what is contained in some of the "hidden folders" so you don't delete a link to something else that you might want to keep. For example: When i removed IE (Internet Explorer) from my PC using my procedure i was able to see that there were some folders that had links to the "Quick Launch" on the desk top and removing them (as a experiment) removed the Quick launch bar. As far as not using jv16 (registry tool) its true if you don't remove any thing you don't need one.However in my removing "Windows Mail" example and looking at my notes there were (running jv16) 543 registry errors 212 Keys/ 331 entries. That's just for one program! I guess that's fine for some but not for me.As far as "revo" it does work well but not for all as i explained.
    I don't really care where an application is installed. I've never seen an uninstaller on any relatively modern machine not go to the correct place to uninstall the application. Occasionally, there are files and folders left behind after an uninstall. If I happen to notice them at some point I'll delete them. But I'm not going to make any special effort to seek them out. The left over files are not hurting anything since they aren't referenced.

I do admit that some security applications may require special attention since moving from one set of security software to another is not always straightforward. Most of the big security vendors provide utility programs to completely clean a system. IMO, this is only necessary if you change vendors and have some problems with the new program(s).

NOTE: I've mentioned "modern system" more than once. In the 9x/ME/NT/2k days it was necessary, particularly for the 9x/ME systems, to pay closer attention to the registry and leftover stuff.

I've said it in other threads and will repeat again, the registry in Vista and newer systems is not processed as it used to be. It is different architecturally. Size is not anywhere near as important because of the changes. You stand a much greater chance of causing problems by "cleaning" your registry than you do by leaving it alone. Some registry keys that cleaners see as orphaned can be required for products. I've seen threads elsewhere that have dealt with Media Center problems caused by deleting supposedly orphaned keys. I've also seen problems with .NET installations caused by deleting keys that supposedly were not even related to .NET. These sorts of problems may not even popup for a long enough period of time that you would even correlate the two events.

All that said, I realize you are going to keep on doing what you are doing. That is up to you. However, on a modern system it is not worth my time & effort. I've got better things to do. So, I'll let the people who know the products decide what to create on an install and delete on an uninstall.

Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast