Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    I don't really care where an application is installed. I've never seen an uninstaller on any relatively modern machine not go to the correct place to uninstall the application. Occasionally, there are files and folders left behind after an uninstall. If I happen to notice them at some point I'll delete them. But I'm not going to make any special effort to seek them out. The left over files are not hurting anything since they aren't referenced.

I do admit that some security applications may require special attention since moving from one set of security software to another is not always straightforward. Most of the big security vendors provide utility programs to completely clean a system. IMO, this is only necessary if you change vendors and have some problems with the new program(s).

NOTE: I've mentioned "modern system" more than once. In the 9x/ME/NT/2k days it was necessary, particularly for the 9x/ME systems, to pay closer attention to the registry and leftover stuff.

I've said it in other threads and will repeat again, the registry in Vista and newer systems is not processed as it used to be. It is different architecturally. Size is not anywhere near as important because of the changes. You stand a much greater chance of causing problems by "cleaning" your registry than you do by leaving it alone. Some registry keys that cleaners see as orphaned can be required for products. I've seen threads elsewhere that have dealt with Media Center problems caused by deleting supposedly orphaned keys. I've also seen problems with .NET installations caused by deleting keys that supposedly were not even related to .NET. These sorts of problems may not even popup for a long enough period of time that you would even correlate the two events.

All that said, I realize you are going to keep on doing what you are doing. That is up to you. However, on a modern system it is not worth my time & effort. I've got better things to do. So, I'll let the people who know the products decide what to create on an install and delete on an uninstall.

Joe
    Joe ,
    Hello, As always it seems that you and i disagree. However the point that i was trying to make was That this "bloatware" (applications) don't have, or come with uninstallers.Once again if you want to remove them you have to seek them where they "live" and in my not so humble opinion ( if you can do it, it ain't brag) my procedure works! Doing the "backups" protects you from the unfortunate removal of something that is really needed. Have no idea of what 9X/ME/NT/2K is or what it has to do with removing things that you don't want form your "PC" Besides If i didn't remove all the orphaned registry entries ( by now would be thousands) i wouldn't be able to sleep, but we both know that im "deluded" Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I have yet to find any Program provided by the OEM of the machine, that I could not remove by using the" Add and Remove" or it's equivalent in the newer OS's.
    Name 3 Bloatware that has not provided a uninstaller?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    I have yet to find any Program provided by the OEM of the machine, that I could not remove by using the" Add and Remove" or it's equivalent in the newer OS's.
    Name 3 Bloatware that has not provided a uninstaller?
    DaveA,
    Hello, I will provide a short list of what i consider "Bloatware" that was provided BY "OEM" here goes:
    1. SnapFish
    2. On Line services
    3. EarthLink
    4. Rhapsody
    5. Real Juke Box
    6. Wild Tangent
    7. RealPlayer
    8. MSN
    9. AOL
    10.Vonage
    11. Easy internet services
    12. Activation assistant 2007 office
    13. windows collaboration
    14. windows journal
    15. windows mail
    16. windows meeting space
    17. windows live messenger download
    18. MS home and student
    19. MS works
    20. MS games
    Shall i continue ?......... i have more? Regards Fred
    PS: i Know that many will not consider some of these as "Bloatware" ...But to me if i don't want it ...Its BLOATWARE!
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobthebear View Post
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm relatively new at using REVO and CCLEANER and have some questions. I've recently used REVO to uninstall McAfee AV, and it seemed to work okay, but CCLEANER then found 39 bits -- most of them McAfee -- in the registry that needed removing. Since CCLEANER has it's own uninstaller, why not simply use it ==instead== of REVO?

Also: I don't know if this is a flaw in REVO, but when you click on the Hunter Mode Icon, it takes you off the REVO page and you end up on the desktop along with the Hunter Mode Icon. Did my download of REVO scew up somehow or is that the way it's supposed to work?
    If a program doesn't appear in the uninstall program list, yet you know the program is installed on your computer. You start that program with Hunter Mode running then when the program starts you click on the Hunter Icon and tell Revo to uninstall it. Thats what its for

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    Hello, I will provide a short list of what i consider "Bloatware" that was provided BY "OEM" here goes:
    1. SnapFish
    etc.,etc.
    That is fine for you to consider these bloatware. Everyone can use their own definition. I agree that many are bloatware.

However, I do not believe you answered DAVEA's question. Are you saying that an uninstall mechanism is NOT provided for all these products?

Joe

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    That is fine for you to consider these bloatware. Everyone can use their own definition. I agree that many are bloatware.

However, I do not believe you answered DAVEA's question. Are you saying that an uninstall mechanism is NOT provided for all these products?

Joe
    Joe,
    Hello, In answering your question...YES ! For the most part your statement is correct . "uninstall mechanism is NOT provided" As i have removed all of these " Bloatware" and many more , (to date) Example Windows Internet Explorer, Windows Defender, and presently working on Windows Media Center , the list as far as i can remember is correct ...No "uninstaller" However there may be some that did have an "uninstaller" Just that my "notes " don't say, and I'm going from memory, and have used my procedure (as previously explained) to remove them all. I hope that this puts to rest this issue as it seems that you and DaveA will never agree with my findings. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Thanks
    This program is what I use to uninstal programs and reg entries.

It will show you all the reg entries under the program in question and alow you to pick and choose
    what reg entries to remove. It will also show you a more detailed view of all the software on your computer
    than the control panel applet will.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    This program is what I use to uninstal programs and reg entries.

It will show you all the reg entries under the program in question and alow you to pick and choose
    what reg entries to remove. It will also show you a more detailed view of all the software on your computer
    than the control panel applet will.
    CLiNT,
    Hello again, YES ! i use jv-16 PowerTools as well as part of my removal procedure as i described, see post #7 in this thread (yes it's getting quite long) Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Did the McAfee uninstall ask for a restart? If so did you hold off on the restart untill after you had finished the Revo uninstall? You do not need to use Hunter mode. I select advanced mode and delete everything Revo finds. No sweat. Yes CCleaner may find other entries. That's why I use both. I have not used the CCleaner uninstaller so do not know how to use it.

Many uninstalls request you to restart to finish the uninstall. If you restart before going into the extra stuff from Revo, it aborts Revo's uninstall and all the entries Revo would have found will not get done. In this case simply wait on the restart until Revo has a chance to find and elliminate the orphaned entries. Once Revo states it has completed then do the restart.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Apologies for the late reply; I've been away. No, Revo didn't ask for a restart during the McAfee uninstall. Since I was new at using both REVO and CCLEANER I thought I'd run them both. And, yes, as you said, CCLEANER did find other entries to remove, and all's well. Thanks for the input.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Plumtree View Post
    If a program doesn't appear in the uninstall program list, yet you know the program is installed on your computer. You start that program with Hunter Mode running then when the program starts you click on the Hunter Icon and tell Revo to uninstall it. Thats what its for
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ah, my misinterpretation of REVO's Hunter mode. Thanks for the explanation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12