Thread: Firefox tabs

Lounger
    Thanks
    I used to have Firefox (with my Win2K IE6) for a while but couldn't fall in love with it so I uninstalled it. Mainly, the tabs drove me crazy. But now it's the end of the road for IE6 and I had to go back to FF. I still hate the tabs. Does anyone know how to uninstall the tabs? I've tried all over but can't find how to do it.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    The only option - which you have probably already found - seems to be to allow new Windows rather than new Tabs to be opened. Working from a German language version & so having to guess at the English language words: Tools->Options->Tabs (first item).
    Gre

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    You could install the Tab Killer extension, it will disable the tabbed browsing features of Firefox.

The version on the main Tab Killer add-ons page only works with up to Firefox 3, to get a version that works with the latest version of Firefox go to https://addons.mozil...s/versions/1938 and install version 2.0.2009110201

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Wagner View Post
    The only option - which you have probably already found - seems to be to allow new Windows rather than new Tabs to be opened.**Working from a German language version & so having to guess at the English language words: Tools->Options->Tabs (first item).
    Your translation into English is exactly right. The first check box you get to there reads "Open new windows in a new tab instead" and obviously if you prefer not to use tabs, you'd uncheck that box.

Ian

Lounger
    Thanks
    OOPS, sorry guys, missed that. All taken care of now.

Thanks for the quick responses.

Bob

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Berles View Post
    OOPS, sorry guys, missed that. All taken care of now.

Thanks for the quick responses.

Bob
    You're welcome, but as a matter of curiosity, what is it about tabs that you don't like? (Not that you have to like them - each to his own tastes - but I find them rather useful.)
    Ian

Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm a 76 year old luddite. When I find something good, I like to hang on to it. My wife, my father's tools, my 13 year old Toyota Corolla with 269,000 miles on it that I hope to drive until I turn in my driver's license from old age. I liked the little boxes on the bottom of the Win95 display, and still on the Win2KPro display, and I would love to keep that to the end also...but Bill won't let me. And on and on...

I toyed with Linux stuff off and on, didn't like the way they were doing it. Wanted to keep the Win2K for the rest of my life, no desire for XP or Vista, but Bill needs the money so he stops giving me what I need, and the Win7 looks good so I will probably carry that one to the grave.

I see no reason to waste ANYTHING, as long as it hangs together and does its job. I've got a bathroom floor heater for the cold nights that's 46 years old and still does the job - just as quietly as the day I bought it. Because I take care of it, clean it, oil it when the winter is over, put it in the original box to keep the dust out, and store it away. I know that faithful friend, and he knows me. Many years ago I called Toastmaster to order a rubber foot to replace one that got damaged. They wanted to buy it from me! Offered me a hell of a lot more than I paid for it. What would I do with money? It would be like divorcing the finest woman in the world.

Okay, what's wrong with the tabs. I don't like another band going all the way across the display. Another quarter of an inch shrinking the height that's too small already. Whirling dervishes distracting my already weak concentration, what's left of it. I don't like the fancy foofraws they splatter all over here and there, distorted animals. What I like is simple stuff. Look at the box that this text resides in. What do you see? You see TEXT. That's exactly what I want to see. Nothing else. Not even those stupid little freaks that get scattered all over the place.

Sorry about the rant, but I hope it satisfies your curiosity

Best to ya,

Bob

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Berles View Post
    . . .*

Sorry about the rant, but I hope it satisfies your curiosity

Best to ya,

Bob
    No need to apologise! Curiosity satisfied nicely, thank you!

Ian

Thanks
    Best ways to reduce all those "little bands": Right-click on an empty space on the top band (toolbar, in Firefox language) and uncheck all toolbars except for "Menu" and "Navigation". Also, to conserve vertical screen space, try a Compact Theme. I like Firefox Classic Compact. These Themes will leave you with small icons, but if you can see the little icons, a compact Theme does help. I assume you are not interested in the flashy Personas feature, so there will be no problems if that feature won't work with many Themes.

There are other ways to simplify the appearance of Firefox. Post back if you want (a LOT of) more suggestions. Folks here tend to post many of their favorite tips if asked.

Right-click on the Firefox Menu Toolbar (at the top) and select "Customize". In the pop-up window, at the far lower-left is a selection box with a drop-down arrow. By default it says "Icons" or "Large Icons". You can change this to "Text Only" and be rid of those "little freaks" (the icons). It seems like you would prefer this.

Are the "little boxes on the bottom of the Win95 display" the Quick Launch feature? If so, that isn't gone in Windows 7 -- it's just hidden by default. You can enable it. I use Windows XP, so someone else would have to post the instructions for Windows 7.
    -- Bob Primak --

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Bob, I appreciate your help.

I got rid of the Tabs but I like the Bookmarks Toolbar as my own quick selector of frequently needed stuff. Maybe there's an equivalent on your end but I'm used to the same location on my IE6, soon to be replaced by IE8 when I finish my new box for Win7. And a Compact Theme may give me icons that are too small. There are always problems when your eyes get old. But I'll check it out.

Your offer of (a LOT of) suggestions will be greatly appreciated. From the beginning I have had nothing but a Win95 box (which still gets out of bed to work when there is a very rare need for it) and Win2K, pretty much the same old view, day after day. Just like the plane I used to work in, still flying since 1975. I just like it, the way it looks, the way it goes, the rare problems I have with it. Good machines, all three.

I will explore your Customize suggestion and others, I just haven't had the time yet to explore. But the "little freaks" are the Smileys, not the icons, just a joke, maybe too strongly handled. And the "little boxes" are indeed the Quick Launch, which I cannot get along without, one of the best things they ever built. I already have the info for that treasure in Win7.

Hope I can get all this humming soon, and thanks again,

Bob