New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a home-brew system using a P5Q-E Asus motherboard. I also have a home-brew external drive in a Thermaltake enclosure that supports both e-sata and usb 2.

When I was running XP32bit the esata worked just fine. I could hot connect the drive and XP would immediately see it and be happy. When I did a hot unplug, XP would notice that too and remove the drive from the drive list. all worked well

Now with Win7 64bit the esata connection works differently (the usb works fine). Win7 will not autodetect it if I do a hot connect. I can use the disk management tool to rescan the bus and it finds the drive right away so it's no big deal, but I wonder why it's no long PnP like XP was.

Similarly when I hot disconnect the drive, Win7 doesn't automatically see that either. But even if I do a bus rescan, it still thinks the drive is attached (any attempt to access the drive while it is in this state causes the os to hang forever). The only way I can get windows to stop seeing the drive again is to reboot.

My BIOS and drivers are all up to date, so I'm kinda puzzled here. Is there something in Win7 that I haven't setup properly?

Thanks

Bri

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The SATA ports need to have AHCI enabled in the BIOS to have that hot-swap capability. If Win 7 was installed in legacy or IDE mode than it may need to be reinstalled with AHCI enabled in order to get that function. Since you had it working with XP, the motherboard SATA port(s) support hot swap but possibly not all of them so be sure the eSATA is connected to the same port that worked in XP.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Byron.

When I installed Win7 64 I deleted the old XP boot partition so that Win7 would install from scratch and thus I'd have no legacy problems.
    I checked my bios settings and I can configure my sata ports as IDE/RAID/AHCI. They seem mutually exclusive. I currently have it set to RAID as I have two sets of mirrored drive. I had the same setting (and drives) in XP and it could find hot swap with no problem. go figure!