Lounger
    Thanks
    I would like to upgrade my 64 bit Vista machine to a dual boot Vista and Win7.

Can I do a clean install of Win7 onto drive 1 using my Win7 Pro upgrade disk? I am concerned that the upgrade will either zap the Vista OS which is on drive 0 or interfere with BIOS data in a way that disables a boot to Vista on drive 0.

The processor is an Intel i7 and I have three large and fast disk drives. I do have a legal upgrade disk for Win 7 Pro and a full installation disk for XP so the dual boot configuration will be legitimate. The XP has never been installed on any machine.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Rigden View Post
    Can I do a clean install of Win7 onto drive 1 using my Win7 Pro upgrade disk? I am concerned that the upgrade will either zap the Vista OS which is on drive 0 or interfere with BIOS data in a way that disables a boot to Vista on drive 0.
    See How to dual boot Windows Vista and Windows 7 (Vista installed first). Ignore all the stuff about creating space for Win7.

More similar article links as "windows 7" dual boot with vista - Bing

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    See How to dual boot Windows Vista and Windows 7 (Vista installed first). Ignore all the stuff about creating space for Win7.

More similar article links as "windows 7" dual boot with vista - Bing

Joe
    This is helpful information for anyone who wants to set up a dual boot system using a full installer for Win 7 as opposed to the upgrade version of Win7 Pro which I have.

I would like to follow the "Clean-install Windows 7 from the upgrade disc" in Woody Leonhard's column (https://windowssecrets.com/2009/11/1...e-upgrade-disc) but that implies that one is installing to a machine that has no prior operating system.

I guess the question I ought to have asked is, "Can you combine Woody's method with the dual install method described in the articles you posted?"

Administrator
    Thanks
    This is helpful information for anyone who wants to set up a dual boot system using a full installer for Win 7 as opposed to the upgrade version of Win7 Pro which I have.

I would like to follow the "Clean-install Windows 7 from the upgrade disc" in Woody Leonhard's column (https://windowssecrets.com/2009/11/1...e-upgrade-disc) but that implies that one is installing to a machine that has no prior operating system.

I guess the question I ought to have asked is, "Can you combine Woody's method with the dual install method described in the articles you posted?"
    Yes.

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried this today and the dual Windows 7 installation was as simple and straightforward as described in your link.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I tried this today and the dual Windows 7 installation was as simple and straightforward as described in your link.
    Terrific!! Glad it worked for you. Thanks for posting back.

Joe
    Joe