Thread: Template format

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Will the old-format templates (.dot) work in Word 7?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you're talking about Word 2007, then yes, the older .dot templates do work in Word 2007. A .dot template won't support features that are new for Word 2007, such as building blocks, but in general they should work OK.

Gary

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Gary!

Yours was the answer I was hoping for. I'll try out a .dot template on a .docx file in my technical writing class tonight.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Glad to help, although unsure what you mean by "try out a .dot template on a .docx file" - do you mean you're going to create a new document based on a .dot, and save it as a .docx document (should work OK), or do you mean you're going to start with a .docx document and will then attach a .dot template to it (not sure if that will work OK)? Let us know what happens....

Gary

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    At my firm we're experiencing major delays when we open documents in 2007 that are attached to .dots.

Our .dots are on our network, and at open now, in 2007, we get the message "opening (template name).dot." It can take a minute or more for the message to close, and for the .dot and .doc to open.

Attaching those same docs to the same templates, after the templates have been converted to .dotm, solves the lag. As does just removing any template attachment. We're just left with that frustrating initial opening process.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You may find this reply on the clunky side because I'm still getting used to the "new" format for the Lounge. For example, where's the simple, easy way to reply to just one at a time of several posted answers? Is there a fix you can tell me? Or which forum I should search? End of current rant.

Back to the issue at hand. I'm delighted that I asked the question about template formats and with the replies generated so far. Every change to learn is valuable.

Specifically, Gary, I meant attaching a .dot to a .docx file, but I'm sorry to say there wasn't time in class to test it yet. But I will, and I'll post our results here.

To Pingdat, your network might be part of the delay you are experiencing. Yesterday, I worked with a .docx file (two pages, all text no pictures, no template other than Normal) in Word 2007, and ran into significant delays with automatic saves after making minor formatting changes. The file was on a Flash (Thumb) drive and I didn't take time to upload it to the hard drive. The computer is on a network. Thanks very much for mentioning that a .dot can be converted to a .dotm; I'll let my students explore how to do that.

Please tell me if this kind of long-ish, free-ranging reply is appropriate for this forum. If not, where better?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Betsy,

Everything in this thread so far seems sufficiently on-topic, and even if it were to drift a little, hey - there has to be a place for longish, free-ranging replies too !

With regard to replies, if you want to reply to individual posts with individual replies, you can click on the 'Quote within reply' button below each post, to respond directly to each post. This will reproduce the contents of the post you are replying to, in 'Quote' tags inside your reply. You can then edit the quoted text if you want, to pare it down to only the relevant part.

If you wanted to reply to a number of different individual posts within one reply, I think you could do that, but it would take some work (note I've never tested the following):

In one browser tab, you could start your reply. You could open up a new browser tab for each post you wish to include as a quoted portion within your reply, and for each of these posts, click 'Quote within reply' to get the post content within Quote tags. You could then copy and paste the relevant quoted content from each tab, into your main reply. Honestly, that sounds like a lot of work, though!

Gary