Thread: Merging tables

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Under Layout>MErge, I don't see any options to merge tables. I have a figure caption that should be a row below a screenshot, so the table should be one row, two columns. Thus, I want to merge the table with the caption with the table with the screenshot. Doing a search for merging tables in Word help yielded nothing.

Anyone?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So you currently have 2 tables in the same doc, and want to turn them into one?

I usually add columns to one or the other table, so that they both have the same number of columns, and then convert both TABLES TO TEXT (in 2003, that's at TABLE-CONVERT).

The result should be that there are now tabs where empty cells were. Remove empty paragraphs between the two groups of text. Select all of the text and tabs (from both tables), and do another conversion, from TEXT TO TABLE.

If feasible, I apply normal.sty to all of the text before I convert it back to a table, to remove tab settings.

Judy

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I merge tables by simply deleting the content that separates them such as an empty paragraph. One reason why this might not work is that one of the tables is floating (using a text wrap). If this is the case then you need to check the table properties.

If that doesn't work, another way is to add an empty row in both tables (put your cursor in the last cell and press tab). Then copy the second table EXCEPT for the new last row and paste it into the first cell on the last row of the first table.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Wow, Andrew, I'll have to try that bottom row thing -- very nifty sounding!
    Quote Originally Posted by ben000 View Post
    the table should be one row, two columns.
    On the other hand, Ben, I'm wondering if you're meaning 1 column and 2 rows, and you have a 1-column table of, say, 50 screenshots, and the other table is a 1-column table of 50 captions, and what you need is to shuffle them together into a 1-column table whose consecutive rows contain screenshot, then caption, then screenshot, then caption, etc. Like a shuffled deck of cards.

And I can't think of a way to do that. It would be doable to have the screenshots and their captions in side-by-side columns, if you didn't mind the caption being to the left of the picture (or the right) rather than below.

Judy