Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am using 64-bit Windows 7. I have just updated my Corel PaintShop Photo Pro X2 to X3. During the install I noticed that all my desktop links to various YouTube Videos were changed from the familiar red and white YouTube icon to a green & blue world globe. Furthermore, after the install when I use IE 8 to access a YouTube video, and if I then drag the URL to the desktop, the icon stored on the desktop becomes the above described globe. Note that the URL icon for other websites are not changed! I do not know if this is a feature of the new PSPP X3 or if it is a bug.

I have informed Corel of this "feature", and I am awaiting their reply. Does anyone know how the new progam is able to monitor website access by IE and selectively replace the YouTube icon with the globe icon when the user drags the URL to the desktop?

Any advice or comments will be greatfully received.

Thanks
    I had a similar problem with Photoshop Elements. I used Ultimate Windows Tweaker to repair the icons. In one of the options there is a rebuild or repair desktop icons. This fixed my problem.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    I had a similar problem with Photoshop Elements. I used Ultimate Windows Tweaker to repair the icons. In one of the options there is a rebuild or repair desktop icons. This fixed my problem.
    I will check out the tweaker product and report back how it works. What bothers me is that I installed Paint Shop twice, and it consistently changed the YouTube desktop icon.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The icon denotes the default app that opens a file of the kind indicated by the file's extension. (By the way, Explorer hides file extensions by default, it is best to show them by unchecking that option.) What Paint Shop is doing is registering another program as the default for that extension.

You can right-click on any of the icons, click on Open With | Choose Default Program, and then select the app you want to open the file with. Then all files using that extension will have their icons changed.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Johnson2191 View Post
    The icon denotes the default app that opens a file of the kind indicated by the file's extension. (By the way, Explorer hides file extensions by default, it is best to show them by unchecking that option.) What Paint Shop is doing is registering another program as the default for that extension.

You can right-click on any of the icons, click on Open With | Choose Default Program, and then select the app you want to open the file with. Then all files using that extension will have their icons changed.
    The solution on Windows 7 is not as simple as you make it appear. When you right-click on an item on the desktop, you are not given the Open With option; just the Open option. Win Explorer lists the item type as Internet Shortcut. There is the option to manually change the icon, but then I would have to go to each icon and change it whenever it was dragged from IE to the desktop.

Note, as I wrote in my initial posting, it is only URLs for YouTube which are changed. For what it's worth, when the desktop is viewed from Windows Explorer, the icons are displayed exactly the same as they appear on the desktop. But, when I use the commercial program xplorer2 (a tabbed dual-pane file manager that maintains the familiar look and feel of the standard windows explorer) to look at the desktop, the standard YouTube icon is displayed within the viewer pane.

In summary, Paint Shop Photo Pro X3 is changing the appearance of YouTube icons on the desktop, but leaves unchanged the icons for non YouTube URLs.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John Gotwals View Post
    .....In summary, Paint Shop Photo Pro X3 is changing the appearance of YouTube icons on the desktop, but leaves unchanged the icons for non YouTube URLs.
    If the YouTube URL includes a file extension that PaintShop recognises as one of its "own" file extensions, then PaintShop will believe that the URL leads to a PaintShop file - not to a YouTube video. HTH
    Gre

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Wagner View Post
    If the YouTube URL includes a file extension that PaintShop recognises as one of its "own" file extensions, then PaintShop will believe that the URL leads to a PaintShop file - not to a YouTube video. HTH
    I am most appreciative of your help. All comments that follow are for Windows 7.

To repeat: The change in the existing YouTube desktop icons occurred during the install process. When the install was finished, all newly created YouTube url icons are converted to the green blue world globe when they are dropped on the desktop. For what it's worth, Corel responded to my complaint and gave me the same advice you have given me. My reply to them pointed out that the "Open with" option is not displayed for desktop icons which are links. If I drag a file (but not an .exe file) from Windows Explorer to the desktop, then the icon associated with the file will display "Open with" when right-clicked.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Links are never associated with a program, only the file that the link is linked to has an association.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "When you right-click on an item on the desktop, you are not given the Open With option; just the Open option."

Hmm, every one of my desktop icons includes both Open and Open With. Though you also admitted the same when you stated that dragging something to the desktop yielded the Open With for that icon.

And actually I think that what you are dealing with is browser shortcuts (though this is just a guess because I don't know exactly how you created them - I dragged the web sites fav icon in the address bar to the desktop). And it does appear that the icons for those can be changed individually (Properties dialog, Web Document tab, click Change Icon) [research project: a powershell script to reset the icons]. So I imagine that Corel's installer changed the icons on purpose. Yuck.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I probably have not been as clear as I should. In (my system at least) 64-bit Windows 7, if you create an Internet Shortcut (.url) on your desktop, then a right click of the icon associated with the link does not display Open With. If you double click or open the link, then the default browser will use the url to bring up a web page. Since installing Corel Paint Shop Photo X3, all YouTube Internet Shortcuts on my desktop display a blue & green world globe. This includes YouTube Internet Shortcuts that existed prior to the install of PSP and YouTube Internet Shortcuts that are currently created by dragging the url at the top of IE to the desktop. However, Internet Shortcuts that do not point to YouTube display the icon normally associated with their web site.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What icon was displayed BEFORE the install of PSP X3?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The normal Red White YouTube icon, with "You" as black type on white background and "Tube" just below it as white type on red background.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I do NOT know what is Normal as I do not place internet links on my desktop.

What happens when go to properties of the link, and try to change the icon, where is the default file location for these icons?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I will repeat:

And it does appear that the icons for internet shortcuts can be changed individually: Properties dialog, Web Document tab, click Change Icon.\

Of course, you are on your own for getting the youtube icon back. Wait, i found it: http://s.ytimg.com/yt/favicon-vfl122048.ico

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had no problem finding a YouTube icon also. However, I do not want to do this procedure everytime I drag a link for a YouTube video to my desktop. Maybe I expect too much, but I did not know that this problem would occur when I updated from Corel Paint Shop Photo Pro X2 to X3. X3 has just come out, and maybe other users will complain too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast