New Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay, I have been driving myself crazy trying to get my 4 systems to transfer files quickly. So, let's go with some background info.

I have 3 XP Home systems and I recently added a Windows 7 Home Premium system to the mix. I have my network setup with a wired Linksys router, no wireless for me. The XP systems can transfer files, between themselves, with blazing speed. Recent attempt was a 71MB video that transferred in seconds between XP systems. When I try to transfer to the W7 system, the estimated time is 13 minutes to a couple hours. I have tried going through all the network settings on my W7 and XP systems and nothing seems to help. I would like to get the file transfer to a speed that I'm accustomed to. As far as everything else, the Internet connection is fine for all systems, I can see my other systems, and the shared printer is setup on my W7 with no problems accessing it from any system. The only problem I have is with the transfer speeds.

I have no idea what to try anymore. I would appreciate any and all suggestions. I have worked with computers for several years and consider myself to be fairly knowledgeable, but this problem is making my feel pretty stupid. As W7 is new to me, please suggest in easy to understand instructions. If you need more info on my systems, please ask. Thanks in advance!

Mike

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    1) Which direction are you trying to do the copy?
    2) Which machine are you sitting at to do the copy?
    3) Are there any errors showing up in the log?
    4) Have you tried a WIN7 to Win7 copy and is also slow? (I realize this is difficult if you have only the one system. But if this is also slow I would suspect a problem with the NIC driver. I constantly transfer 4-5GB video files between my Win7 desktop and Win7 laptop and they transfer within a minute or two at 99% network utilization on a 100Gb LAN.)

I recall when Vista first came out that copying a file between the Vista system and a Windows 2003 system took forever if the copy was initiated from the Vista system. The same copy took seconds when initiated form the Windows 2003 system. (By the way, while sitting at Vista I opened a Remote desktop from to Win2003, and did the copy in Remote Desktop. Sure beat walking down the hall to the Win2003 system.)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Peter,

Thanks for your response. Here are the answers to your questions:

1) I have tried copying both ways. From the W7 system to the XP system and from the XP to the W7
    2) I have tried sitting at both systems, the result is the same. Maybe a touch faster if I sit at the XP system, but hardly fast
    3) I'm not sure what log you mean, but I do get an error message during the transfer. It comes up after a minute or two of transferring. I had to test another transfer to get the right message. This time, I tried a 2.5MB song. Estimated time was about 3 minutes. I then got a Network Error box. It stated "There is a problem accessing (folder location). Make sure you are connected to the network and try again." I can then hit Try Again or Cancel. If I select Try Again, I get a Copy File box stating "Invalid file handle". I select Try Again and the transfer starts again. It starts at 3 minutes and then bumps up to 4 minutes. The speed is listed at 6.90kb/sec. A blistering pace. I then get the Network Error message again and get sent back through the loop. If there is a log to report, please give me the location of that. Thanks.
    4) I'm not sure how to go about a Win7 to Win7 transfer with one system. I can move things around in my Win7 system without any problems and pretty quick, but I'm sure that's not what you're looking for.

For what it's worth, I'm sure I do have the latest drivers for my NIC card. I will double check that tonight. Hopefully, that answers your questions.

Mike

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm sure I do have the latest drivers for my NIC card.
    Double checking is a good first thing to look at. My default install used drivers almost 2 years old for the NIC and it was operating in a troublesome manner until I updated the drivers. Besides the manufacturer you can also check Windows Update for a recent rev.

Thanks
    A possible fix from Scribd.

There appears to be many different causes of the slow network/file transfer problems between 7 and other OS's, nForce drivers and router incompatibility are some others that are cited.

If the above 'fix' has no effect, please post more hardware and driver version details from your motherboard, NIC and router.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The logs I referred to are the system logs. Right-click Computer, choose Manage, then look under System Tools | Event Viewer | Windows Logs. The Application log and the System log is where I would look.

Yes, transferring between the single system is no good, you really need to find another system - a friend, neighbor, coworker that has a win7 laptop that they can bring over for a minute and hook into your wired network.

Oh, and I was way off on my transfer times for a 5GB file - I get about 11.7MB/sec, which amount to about a 7 minute transfer time.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Byron,

I checked with HP and Windows Update for a newer driver. Both state that i have the latest driver for my NIC.

Andy,

No go with the fix. Thanks for the suggestion though. Here is the link for my system specs. In Device Manager, my NIC is listed as a Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller with a driver version of 7.6.820.2009. I am using a Linksys router BEFSR41 with the latest firmware. The router was mentioned before and I have checked with Linksys and DLink about router compatibility with Win7. Each company told me that the OS does not effect the operation of the router.

Peter,

I checked the logs you suggested and I see no errors or warnings. Just a lot of Information entries. Unfortunately, I don't know of anyone that has W7 right now. I'd be happy with a 7 minute transfer time for 5GB. Heck, I can't even get a 70MB file to transfer anywhere close to that time.

Mike

Thanks
    That's correct Mike, the OS should not have any effect on basic router operation but it can sometimes dictate the type of connection/wireless encryption that you can use with a particular combination. Your NIC is 10/100/1000, and I assume you have it set (probably as default) to Auto; check in Device Manager for the current settings then test each possible configuration of 10, 100 and 1000Mb, with and without full duplex, you may hit a sweeter spot .

I would also remove any unneeded protocols like QOS and TCP/IPv6 from the NIC.

You may also want to test using files transferred to/from the standard Shared Documents folder in 7. Also to/from mapped folders.

An earlier driver for the NIC may be a useful test, even if it was one written for Vista. You could try forcing the install of a driver directly from Realtek (the drivers are dated 2010/1/20).

The PC was bought with 7 pre-installed, not with Vista and then upgraded?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Andy,

I tried all the speeds for my NIC and nothing sped the transfer up. I also checked on the QOS and TCP/IPv6 and disabled them, no difference. Transferring inot my Shared Folders also made no difference. I forced the Realtek drivers in and the transfer speed was actually slower. I didn't think that would be possible. Lastly, the PC was purchased with Win7 installed, this is not an upgraded system.

I appreciate the suggestions. Any other ones?

Mike

Thanks
    Well Mike, I thought that would have covered most of the possibilities, or at least given us some pointers as to where the problem lay . At this point, I'd be looking at the likelihood that a clean install of 7, without the HP crud would be the way to go (I hate having to do or suggest that).

Is there a way that you can resize your hard drive in Disk Management so that you can test out a parallel install of 7 on a second partition before committing to a wipe/install? Can you do that with whatever disk HP have supplied/allowed you to create?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry for the slow response, I've been working some long days and haven't felt like doing much after I get home.

As much as you hate to suggest a clean install, I hate doing it. As far as resizing my current disk, from what I've read, that is possible. As far as the disks, HP only gives you a separate partition for the recovery software. I think there is an option to create the disks, but I haven't done that yet. Is it possible to install 7 on a slave drive, or does it have to be the main drive?

Any chance it could be something else? I, like you, was hoping to avoid the clean install.

Mike

Thanks
    Mike, there's every chance it could be something else; this problem has been around for more than a year now, I'm guessing there are many reasons for it.

If you have a spare HDD, create the disks (usually the first thing I do when setting up a new PC anyway), replace the current drive and try to make a clean install. Install the latest drivers, setup and test network transfer speeds - if that works, create a recovery image of it, fast .